The following is from Rev. Gerald P. Holmes, "We're Called Christian First: A History of the Christian Churches of Hartwick", Edmeston: Bishop Printshop, 1978, p. 93, in a chapter on the Christian Church of Hartwick, Hartwick Village:
April 1890 Rev. Alonzo Shafer began his pastorate presenting letters for himself and his wife Malissa, and Francis K. Shafer from South Valley.
In November 1890, Lucinda Wells suggested organizing a home mission Sunday School Dept."for the purpose of a more thorough study of the Scriptures." Malissa Shafer was elected superintendent of this department.
On May 23, 1891 there were four who requested to be sprinkled as their choice as to mode of baptism and the ordinance was performed by Elder Shafer. It was the first time in the history of the church. There were 16 who were baptized this same day in the waters of Otego Creek near the pond of Harrington and Alger. Also during 1890 and 1891 several from the North Church joined this church in the village.
On October 27,1891, Elder Shafer was made a committee to sell the old church carpets and he auctioned them off to the highest bidder. They were sold to Sheffield Harrington for the sum of $3.00.
In February 1892 Rev. A. Shafer vacated the pulpit and made arrangements with Rev. A.J. Wayman of Portlandville to supply until the end of March. Other pastors who filled the pulpit included Elder A. Damon, and Elder Henry Brown.
On p. 100 of the same book there is a list of the Pastors of the Hartwick Village Church.....
1889-1890 Rev. William Case
1890-1892 Rev. Alonzo Shafer
1892 Rev. Henry Brown
1892-1893 Rev.E. Morrell
Cooperstown Village Historiancoophist@stny.rr.com