Zebulon Scriven

Replies: 0

Zebulon Scriven

Rosemary Markham (View posts)
Posted: 25 May 2000 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Will
Surnames: Scriven, Bassett, Parks, Jones, Maxon, Lewis, Mills, Cobb, Howard
Rensselaer County, New York
The letters Testamentary granted unto Mary Scriven, the executrix of the last will of Zebulon Scriven deceased.
Recorded 12 Mar 1821.
[Person listed in the following will of Zebulon Scriven:
Zebulon Scriven
Mary Scriven - wife
William Scriven - father
Else Bassett - eldest sister
John Scriven - brother
James Scriven - brother
John Scriven Junior
Benjamin Franklin Scriven
Samuel L. Scriven
Daniel L. Scriven
Thomas W. Scriven
Rufus Parks
Joshua Scriven
Joseph Scriven's heirs
Zebulon Jones the son of Silas and Mercy Jones
Joshua M. Scriven
Zebulon Scriven 2nd
Isaac Scriven
Perry Scriven son of William Scriven 3rd
Weedon Maxon son of Matthew Maxon
Nathan Lewis elder
Nathan Scriven son of Joseph Scriven
Else Scriven daughter of Thomas Scriven
witnesses: Mills, Cobb, & Howard]

Grafton August the 27th day 1820
In the name of God Amen, I Zebulon Scriven being weak and infirm in body, but of perfect mind and memory, and knowing that it is appointed to all men once to die, and afterward to come to judgement do make this my last will and testament viz:
Firstly, I bequeath my body to the ground, to be buried in decent Christian burial at the expense of my executors, and my soul to God that give it.
Secondly, I give and bequeath to my true and lawful wife, Mary Scriven the use of the whole, and profits of my real estate, during her natural life, and likewise the whole of my personal property to be for and to her only use and disposal except such part as I shall hereafter and herein [?] of otherwise.
Thirdly, I order my executor to pay one dollar and fifty cents in provision and clothing monthly to that person who maintains or supports my father William Scriven each and every month during the natural life of my father William Scriven and at his decease I hereby order one dollar in provision to be paid to my eldest sister Else Bassett, each and every month monthly during her natural life, and also to pay to my brother John Scriven fifty cents in provision monthly each and every month during his natural life, and after the decease of my father William Scriven, I order one milch [milk] cow to be given to my brother James Scriven for his own use and benefit by my executor.
Fourthly, I give and bequeath to John Scriven Junior, after the decease of my wife the whole use and profit of all that field commonly called the new barn meadow, being the northwest corner of my farm during his natural life and after the decease of the said John Scriven junior, I give and bequeath the said new barn meadow to his son Benjamin Franklin Scriven his heir executor administrators and assigned forever after the decease of my wife.
Fifthly I give and bequeath to Samuel L. Scriven his heirs executors administrators and assigns and east of the above mentioned lot adjoining James Scriven land, the field lying on the east mile of the road, commonly called the spring pasture after the decease of my wife.
Sixthly, I give and bequeath to Daniel L. Scriven his heirs executors administrators and assign all that lot of land commonly called the east barn meadow lying south and adjoining the above mentioned spring pasture after the decease of my wife.
Seventhly I give and bequeath to Thomas W. Scriven he his heirs executors administrators and assign all the field lying in the northeast corner of my farm and joining on the north to James Scriven's land on the least to Rufus Parks land commonly called the sorrel pasture. After the decease of my wife.
Eighthly, I order that after the my decease that my executor sell the south meadow beginning at the great rock lying in the bottom of the wall south of the house and running thence southernly along the road to the corner of the road, near Joshua Scriven's Inn then westerly along the south road so called to the farm owned by Joseph Scriven's heirs then north along said line ‘till it comes parallel with the wall that runs west from the said rock, then easterly to the place of beginning.
Ninthly, I give and bequeath to Zebulon Jones the son of Silas and Mercy Jones to him the said Zebulon, his heirs executors administrators and assign all the remainder of my farm house and other buildings therewith that I have not herein disposed of after the decease of my wife. And likewise my clock after my wife's decease and [?] I order the above named Zebulon Jones to pay out of my estate, after it comes into his hands, one hundred dollars as follows viz two years after the above said estate comes in his hand to pay Joshua M. Scriven twenty-five dollars and two years after that payment to pay to Zebulon Scriven 2nd twenty-five dollars, two years after the last mentioned payment to pay Isaac Scriven twenty -five dollars, two years afterward to pay Perry Scriven son of William Scriven 3rd twenty-five dollars. Further I order the above Zebulon Jones after the decease of my wife to pay the above directed sums the cited in the articles of this will monthly and every month as directed and third article to be paid to my father, to my sister Else and Brother John out of my estate of they or either of them [?]
Tenthly, I give and bequeath to the heirs of Weedon Maxon son of Matthew Maxon one like milch [milk] cow to be delivered at my decease also two old account books with was formerly said Weedon Maxon's.
Eleventh, I give and bequeath to Nathan Lewis elder at my decease my silver watch and spectacles,
Twelveth, I give and bequeath to Nathan Scriven son of Joseph Scriven deceased after the decease of my wife my great iron kettle, large and irons, large shovel and tongs, all my wearing apparel except such as my father needs.
Thirteenth, I give and bequeath after the decease of my wife to Else Scriven daughter of Thomas Scriven, one great bible and my largest looking glass.
Fourteenth, I hereby constitute and appoint my true and lawful wife Mary Scriven my whole and sole executrix to administer on the above said estates.
Signed sealed published and declared by the above named Zebulon Scriven to be his last will and testament in the presence of us who have hereunto subscribe out names as witnesses in the presence of the testator and of each other.
Daniel Mills
Daniel A Cobb
John Howard

Find a board about a specific topic