Posted: 31 Aug 2001 1:08PM GMT
Classification: Will
Surnames: Rogers, Hyde

Copy of Will for ROGERS, STEPHEN
Mapletown, County of Rensselaer, New York
Volume Number 1B-4
Source: Transcribed from SAMPUBCO copy

The People of the State of New York by the Grace of God free and independent

To all to whom these Presents shall come or may concern send greeting. Know ye that at Lansingburgh in the County of Rensselaer and State of New York, Moss Kent, Esq., Surrogate of our said County, the last Will and Testament of Stephen Rogers of said County Deceased (a copy whereof is hereto annexed) was proved and is now approved and allowed of by us and the said deceased having whilest he lived and at the time of his Death Goods Chattels or Credits within the State by means whereof this proving and registering the said Will and the granting Administration of all and singular the said Goods Chattels and Credits and also the auditing allowing and final discharging the account thereof doth belong unto us; the Administration of all and singular the Goods Chattels and Credits of the said deceased and anyway concerning his said Will is granted unto Ednah Rogers, the Widow of the said Stephen Rogers deceased, Executrix in the said Will named, she being first duly sworn well and faithfully to administer the same and to make and exhibit a true and perfect inventory of all and singular the said Goods Chattels and Credits and also to render a just and true account thereof when thereunto required. IN TESTIMONY whereof we have caused the Seal of Office of our said Surrogate to be hereunto affixed. WITNESS Moss Kent, Esquire, Surrogate of the said County at Lansingburgh aforesaid the Second Day of November in the year of our Lord One Thousand Seven Hundred and Ninety One and of our Independence the Sixteenth.

(signed) Moss Kent, Surrogate

Here follows the copy of the Will Annexed

In the Name of God I Stephen Rogers of Mapletown alias Hoosick in the County of Albany and State of New York being weak of body but of sound memory (blessed be God) do this Day it being the Nineteenth Day of February in the year of our Lord One Thousand Seven Hundred Ninety One do make and publish this my last Will and Testament in Manner following that is to say First I commit my Soul to God that gave it my body to have a decent burial. First I give and bequeath unto my beloved Wife the whole of my Estate Real untill my two Daughters become of lawfull age at which time they shall have forty acres of land formerly belonging to James Williamson in said Mapletown. The remaining part of my real estate containing one hundred and ten acres I give unto my son when he comes of lawfull age, my Wife keeping said Estate clear of rents and other encumbrances until they and each of them shall become of age. My daughters Ednah & Sukey and my son Erastus, after which time that they come of age, my wife Ednah shall enjoy the Third part of the whole real estate of the One Hundred and Ten acres. Likewise, I give and bequeath unto my wife Ednah, all my personal Estate except two obligations - One of One Hundred and Fifty Dollars against Moses Sage, the other of Five Hundred Dollars against Dort Dyer of Canterbury. These obligations I will desire to pay my lawful contracted debts due for my land. Likewise my Negro Boy Prince, I will that my son Erastus shall have when my said Son shall be of lawfull age. Likewise if either of two daughters should die that the surviving one daughter should enjoy the whole of said Forty Acres. Likewise if my son Erastus should die that my daughters Ednah & Sukey should enjoy the One Hundred and Ten Acres with my Negro Boy Prince. And I make and ordain my Father-in-Law, Francis Hyde of Norwich, Executor and my Wife Ednah my lawfull Executrix of this my Last Will and Testament in Trust for the interests and purposes within my Will contained.
IN WITNESS whereof, I, the said Stephen Rogers, have to this my Last Will and Testament let my hand & seal this day and year first above written.

Stephen Rogers L.S. (Seal)
Signed, Sealed & Delivered by said
Stephen Rogers as his Last Will and
Testament in presence of
(signed) James Williamson
(signed) Samuel Salisbury
(signed) Dan S. McCarter

Here follows the copy of the proof of the aforesaid Will & Testament

Rensselaer County. There personally appeared before me, Moss Kent, Surrogate of said County, the abovementioned James Williamson and Samuel Salisbury, two of the submitting witnesses to the above Will and Testament and made oath that they respectively saw Stephen Rogers sign and seal the Instrument whereof the above is a true copy of the said instrument and purporting to be the Last Will and Testament of the said Stephen Rogers and that they heard him publish and declare same as and for his Last Will and Testament. That at the time thereof he, the said Stephen Rogers, was of sound mind, memory and understanding to the best of their knowledge and belief and that they respectively signed and subscribed their names with their own proper handwriting and that they saw Dan S. McCarter, the other subscribing witness, subscribe his name thereto as a Witness in the presence of the said Testator.

So help me God
Test. Moss Kent, Surrogate

Here follows the Oath administered to Ednah, the Executrix:

Rensselaer County. I, Ednah Rogers, widow of Stephen Rogers, deceased, and Executrix of his Last Will and Testament do swear that the Instrument and writing which is now shown to you containing the True Last Will & Testament of Stephen Rogers, your late deceased husband, late of Hoosick, as far as you know or believe that you will well and truly perform the service by first paying his just debts and then the Legacies contained in the said Will as far as his goods, Chattells and Credits will thereto extend and the Law requires, that you will make or cause to be made a true and perfect inventory of all his said goods, chattells and credits and exhibit the same into the office of Surrogate of the County of Rensselaer within the time prescribed by law. That you will also keep a regular account of all your receipts and expenditures for and respecting the same Estate and exhibit the same when thereto required.

So help me God

Test. Moss Kent, Surrogate

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions