Search for content in message boards

Esther Ann Clark Rockefeller (1827-1877)

Replies: 0

Esther Ann Clark Rockefeller (1827-1877)

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 6:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Clark, Hare, Rockefeller, Atwell, Haynes
I'm looking for any help regarding my third great grandmother, Esther Ann Clark (1827-1877). Esther was born (allegedly) in Kinderhook, NY in 1827. In November 1847 she married Jonas Rockefeller in Schodack, NY. They had 4 children: Spencer (1849-1925); Ardella (1851-1931); Herbert (1854-1885) and Charles (1858-1944). I've searched for years about Esther's parentage and about two years ago, I came across an obituary for Tharina Clark Atwell which mentioned my great, great grandmother, Ardella as her niece, so I was happy to finally be able to find a sibling for Esther. Tharina was born in Kinderhook in 1841 and moved to Schenectady around 1855. I was able to obtain her death certificate and her parents were listed as Ralph Clark and Catherine Hare. The obit also mentioned another niece, Ella Clark Rockefeller Haynes (1867-1951) and through some more research I discovered Ella was the daughter of Annis B Clark and Stephen Rockefeller. That said, Annis was born in 1827. Could she have been Esther's twin? They both have different birth dates or one could be a baptismal date instead of actual birth date. I found all census records for Esther and it doesn't seem that any family members lived next door to her. She is buried in Vale Cemetery, Schenectady and Catherine is buried next to her. Tharina is a row or two in front of Esther. I cannot find Tharina in any 1850 census to find out more about "Ralph" Clark. It's known or thought to be known that he probably died between 1850 and 1855 as Catherine is widowed on her census records from 1860 on. I did find a Catherine Hare married to a William R Clark and was wondering if the "R" was for Ralph and maybe that's what he went by? Also, Spencer (Esthr and Jonas' son) was baptized Spencer Alpheus Rockefeller. Was Ralph a nickname for Alpheus? I keep coming up with dead ends as to the true parentage of Esther and was hoping someone could either point me in the right direction or if there is someone who has this family in their tree. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Find a board about a specific topic