Search for content in message boards

Revision: Staten Island Directories 1915 - 1918 Look-ups needed

Replies: 13

Re: Revision: Staten Island Directories 1915 - 1918 Look-ups needed

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 11:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
I hope you're wrong about Ancestry outsourcing/offshoring jobs that America desperately needs.

I'd say "How un-American" except Ancestry.com is no longer an American owned company. It was acquired for $1.6 billion back in Oct 2012 by the European private-equity firm Permira.

This could be a good thing if more European records start getting digitized & put into the Ancestry databases. Or it could be a bad thing if the hdqtrs or some of the functions are moved overseas resulting in the loss of jobs here or it could mean a restructuring of the subscriptions which usually means the cost to the subscriber increases - not a smart move with many people still running on a tight budget & willing to cut non essentials like hobbies. We'll just have to wait & see.

As those of us who have done transcriptions voluntarily for various genealogy groups such as the Mormons, you know that the transcriptions can be done by anyone with internet access & a computer from anywhere & that includes the US.

If they are outsourcing/offshoring & it is adversely affecting the quality of the transcriptions and, judging by some of the poor transcription work I've recently encountered on Ancestry which has made searching difficult, it could begin to affect the bottom line & hopefully bring those jobs back to the US.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Loreen_Wells 19 Dec 2012 9:54PM GMT 
jcorcillo2 19 Dec 2012 11:08PM GMT 
Loreen_Wells 20 Dec 2012 6:59AM GMT 
mindfoggs2 8 Mar 2013 6:44PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions