Search for content in message boards

JAMES HAYNER b. abt 1750 prob. in NY - probably grandson of Palatine Immigrant - Help finding Loyalist info or James' parents

Replies: 1

JAMES HAYNER b. abt 1750 prob. in NY - probably grandson of Palatine Immigrant - Help finding Loyalist info or James' parents

Posted: 24 Jun 2012 10:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: HAYNER HAYNOR HANER HANOR HENER HAINER
I have searched for years for a trace of my ancestor, James Hayner (Haner, Haynor, etc.) in New York State, where I believe he was born about 1750. I find no trace of him until he was in Kentucky by 1806. I believe he lived for a number of years somewhere in the mid-Hudson River Valley areas of Columbia, Rennselaer, Albany, or Saratoga counties, and I know he had either close or distant relatives in that area through DNA testing that closely connects James Hayner's line to the larger NY Hayner family, but have been unable to find any mention of HIM in New York.............until, perhaps, now. There is a James Hayner listed as a private on an American Revolutionary War Loyalist muster roll of Captain Gray's company in the New York Volunteers from February into April of 1781.........and he was listed as being in a Southern Campaign during that year in connection to a commander named George Turnbull. I believe his outfit was sent to the Carolinas at one point...........which is also important because I have a little indication that James DID live in the Carolinas before moving to Washington County, Kentucky by about 1806..........the Kentucky years, those being from his mid-life on, are the years of which I have details about him. Unfortunately, the first half of his life, as you can see, has been all but lost to history, and I am trying to find him and re-connect him, and myself, to his New York State and German ancestors, but am struggling. Does anyone has a clue or suggestion?? Are there other Loyalist records where I might perhaps find names of his parents or siblings? His children born between 1787-1800 we believe were all born elsewhere (Carolinas? New York?), not in Kentucky, but have only one census record clue where one grandchild of James says his father was born in SC. I would appreciate help from anyone who has knowledge of the Loyalists. Did New York Volunteers who helped in the "Southern Campaign" frequently stay in the Carolinas? Might he have stayed and had children in South Carolina and then moved on to Kentucky? Were these folks somewhat persecuted after they lost the war and he was intentionally leaving very little clue after arriving in Kentucky as to his past? He first shows up in the 1810 Census in Washington Co., Kentucky (remember he is about 60 years old by then--and lived until 1849 - almost 100 years old) I have been unable to locate him in 1800 or 1790 censuses under various spellings. Any suggestions of where I might go from here, especially to get more info on the specific James Hayner listed as a NY Volunteer, would be very helpful and welcome!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
vhauld 24 Jun 2012 4:15PM GMT 
momjo5 3 Feb 2013 10:15PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic