Search for content in message boards

Wesley Ellis, son of Lazarus Ellis, death notice / obituary (of Tompkins, Steuben, now part of Schuyler Co.)

Replies: 2

Re: Wesley Ellis, son of Lazarus Ellis, Deeds for Mill in Tyrone, NY

Posted: 19 Mar 2013 8:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Mar 2013 8:40AM GMT
Surnames: Ellis Lockwood Sunderlin
This isn't exactly genealogical information, but may provide clues... I have copies of deeds for Tyrone NY Grist Mill, from Lazarus W. Ellis to Leonard Lockwood and Levi W Ellis (of Starkey, Yates County)- dated 1838, and from both Lockwood and Levi W Ellis to Eli Sunderlin - dated 1839. These are prints from microfilms of Steuben County deeds, transcribed to Schuyler County, with reference to Steuben liber & page numbers. Also notes Lazarus Ellis' wife as Esther Ellis.
It would appear that Lazarus Ellis was in some financial difficulty, and his son was helping him to get money to pay back loans/mortgages, etc. The deeds from Lockwood & Ellis to Sunderlin show dollar amounts of $5,666.66 and $5,333.33, (total $10,999.99) with a disclaimer that "This conveyance is not to effect or _[imperil? hard to read]_ the claim of the parties of the first part upon the policy of insurance upon the mills lately destroyed by fire upon the said premises Expected to them by the Hartford Fire Insurance Company." There may also be newspaper articles about that...

Would Levi W. Ellis of Starkey, Yates County, possibly be Wesley Ellis?

The deed copies are not digitized, I have photocopies from the microfilm, could copy & mail to you, if you're interested. There may also be other Ellis deeds in Schuyler and Yates Counties... My e-mail is mlaarons "at" yahoo.com, if that is better than message board.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
CStanley84 15 Oct 2011 2:06PM GMT 
mlaarons42 19 Mar 2013 2:39PM GMT 
CStanley84 19 Mar 2013 9:02PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions