HISTORICAL GAZETTEER, PART FIRST, Steuben County, New York, compiled by Millard F. Roberts, John Single Paper Company, Ltd., Syracuse, N.Y., 1891.
CAMERON - SETTLEMENT - page 174 - 176
The first settlement was made in the year 1800 by RICHARD HADLEY, also known as "THE SECOND JAMES" and PHONES GREEN. PHONES GREEN was a grand-father of CAPT. LUTHER WHITE. Baker's Mill, a mile below the village of Cameron, was the site of the first saw and grist mill in the town. MR. HADLEY built the saw mill and CAPT. SAMUEL BAKER, who came to town in 1816, built the grist mill, in company with a MR. WARDEN, the same year. MR. BAKER was accompanied by his grandson, JAMES B. WHEELER, then a boy of seven years, who succeeded to the mill and several times rebuilt it. A carding mill was also erected then by AMOS CALDWELL, and for several years was operated by JOHN PLACE. JOHN DEAN came from Massachusetts and located near the mill soon after MR. BAKER. ISAAC SANTEE settled in the valley a mile from the Canisteo line in 1820.