Search for content in message boards

Elias/Peter Clark

Replies: 8

Re: Elias/Peter Clark

Posted: 15 Feb 2008 10:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Taylor, Clement, Lindsley
There is a John Taylor of Ontario County (Bristol) that had a daughter Hannah. The Bristol twp history says he took lot 14, arrived about 1797, died in 1830. I have been desperately trying to find an internet article I read about a John Taylor that arrived from New Jersey in 1797 and settled in Ontario County, and I thought it said near Phelps, he also died in 1830.

This is another piece of the puzzle. My Gx4 grandfather, Col. (Gen. but he went by Col.) John Taylor moved from New Jersey to Steuben County in 1797. He married Mary Miller Lindsley, widow of a fellow officer, Lt. Col. Eleazer Lindsley. and they are living in Lindley in the 1800 census. Another family's history states he moved from Hammondsport to Lindley to marry her. He brings with him, from New Jersey, at least two children under the age of 16, who marry and settle near Bath. In fact there are some records that state that Col John initially settled near Wheeler, which is just west of Hammondsport. The daughter, Elizabeth, marries Dugald Cameron, a Scotsman, George W. marries Christina Clement. There are no records of his first wife, Lydia Ker, having arrived in New York, and I wonder if he didn't leave New Jersey after the death of his wife. Just supposition on my part but looking at it from a human perspective.

Another researcher two years ago tried to tell me that he found evidence that Col. John had another son John who had a large farm north of Steuben County. I didn't pay much attention to that because we had no record of a son John. Then I found more children that had stayed in New Jersey, and the New Jersey Historian had no record of any other children except the first 3. There was a huge gap, several years between the 'first three' and the 'last two'. (one of the older daughters was married the year the youngest daughter was born) I started wondering about their method of birth control, or if there were more children we didn't know about.

Now here is the clincher. Our family 'legend' is that Col. John died in 1830. Since he was born ca. 1740 that would have made him 90 years of age. There are no census records of him by name after 1800, however I do find in 1810 a free white living with Dugald and Elizabeth, in Bath, which could be him. From the Geneva Gazette I found in the Dec 2?, 1811 paper an Obit for 'General John Taylor, a Rev. War Patriot, died Dec ??, 1811, "possibly in Bath".' So.... from whence does the mixup come of Col. John dying in 1830, and why would an Obit be published in the Geneva paper, so far from Bath in 1811. Even the DAR records reflect the 1830 death date. If Col John had a son John that lived in Phelps or Bristol, that would explain the Geneva Obit, and if that son died in 1830, that would explain the confusion about Col. John's date of death. A lot of if's but it would explain a lot.

Sorry I haven't been more help. Hoped that we might be able to tie some loose strings together. Oh yes, Col John was most likely Scot in Heritage, although it was his parents who came over on the last voyage of probably the Caledonia, it wrecked in Perth Amboy harbor in 1715. The history of its wreck matches the Taylor arrival legend. We have an old handwritten story about the wreck, but it doesn't name the ship, or the parents, just again another family legend that someone along time ago wrote out for us.

Best of luck,
Tim Taylor

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
DennisClark26 12 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT 
MStormzand946... 15 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT 
DennisClark26 15 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT 
tftaylor167 15 Feb 2008 6:33AM GMT 
DennisClark26 15 Feb 2008 3:49PM GMT 
tftaylor167 16 Feb 2008 5:09AM GMT 
DennisClark93 16 Feb 2008 5:44AM GMT 
tftaylor167 4 Jan 2013 5:31AM GMT 
tftaylor167 16 Feb 2008 5:10AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions