Search for content in message boards

Charles D. Fisk aka Charles Mann ?

Replies: 5

Charles D. Fisk aka Charles Mann ?

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 8:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: FISK MANN
I am searching for the birth parents and possibly adoptive parents of my great grandfather Charles D. Fisk b: 10 Aug 1846 in Java, NY; d: 18 Dec 1823 in Warsaw, NY at the home of his wife's nephew James Brotherton (from his obit).

Sometime before 1880 he married Laura Josephine Downing of Wethersfield. I have loads of information on her and have traced many of her lines to medieval England. But Charles is a true brick wall.

The family story passed down says he was born with the last name of Mann, but raised as a Fisk. Yet I cannot find any proof of either. I have been researching this man so many years I have lost count of them!

I have records from the civil war, but none of them list parents names. His death certificate states parents names "cannot be learned". I've researched old newspapers and found mentions of him when he and Laura were living in Perry. But any reference to family always goes back to Laura's family. Including the Brothertons. I have also spent many hours browsing probate and guardianship records at LDS. Nothing there either. And obviously I've spent a lot of time over the years reviewing census records and trailing possible families with Charleses to wrong people.

I did the DNA testing here, but of course, that has not helped at all. With anything really ;)

My tree is online and the file name is dfisktree and user name is fiskd1.

I guess I'm hoping that Charles will ring a bell with somebody, although I know that isn't likely. But if somebody has a suggestion or idea for where to go from here, I would love to hear it.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
fiskd1 18 Nov 2012 3:25AM GMT 
barbdale_1 18 Nov 2012 4:54AM GMT 
fiskd1 18 Nov 2012 9:22PM GMT 
barbdale_1 18 Nov 2012 9:45PM GMT 
fiskd1 18 Nov 2012 9:51PM GMT 
skyeswom 18 Nov 2012 12:17PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic