Search for content in message boards

The children of Rufus and Mary ("Molly") Edson of Italy, Yates, NY

Replies: 0

The children of Rufus and Mary ("Molly") Edson of Italy, Yates, NY

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 2:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Edson, Cole, Greenwood, Hayes, Arnold, Barden, Bardeen
In order to complete the DAR application on the service of Abel Edson, the father of Rufus Edson (1765-1828), proof had to be provided that my ancestor, Philena Edson Bardeen, was the daughter of Rufus and Mary Edson. Since no birth record could be found and Rufus died intestate, this was accomplished by using land records, in which all the names of his children and their spouses (except those of the two youngest children) are recorded.

In Sep 1828, the land that was owned by Rufus Edson, Sr. at the time of his death was transferred from ownership by all ten of his children to the sole ownership of his youngest son, Bezaleel Edson. As in most 19th century documents, the spelling is creative, but I have transcribed it as it is written in the original.

"This Indenture made the eighteenth day of September in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and twenty eight between Rufus Edson and Sibbel his wife, Dan Edson and Esther his wife, Abner Greenwood and Polly his wife, Marcus Edson and Rachel his wife, Cephas Hayes and Hesediah his wife, Amos Arnold and Eliza his wife, Calvin Barden and Philesa his wife, Moses Barden and Margaret his wife and Mary Ann Edson of the first part and Besella Edson of the second part."

There is much more to the proof provided to the DAR...copies of the 1816 sale of the land from Rufus Jr. to Rufus Sr., original and transcript, the entire 1828 deed, original and transcript, and a local obituary for Rufus Sr.

Anyone who would like to join a lineage society based on their descent through this line and need to prove the link of Rufus to one of his children, please contact me directly.

This message is also posted to the Edson message board, along with other messages concerning Abel Edson, Revolutionary War patriot, DAR Ancestor no. A209134.

Kathy McConnell Hudson
Kailua, Hawaii
khudson888@aol.com

Find a board about a specific topic