Search for content in message boards

Joshua Wells

Replies: 4

Re: Joshua Wells and Phebe Briggs

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 4:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wells, Putman, Chamber, Briggs
Bonita,

I have been working on the Joseph Wells family of Tuscola Co., MI, again, and have been corresponding under the Joseph Wells replies with you.

I feel it is difficult to place Joseph Wells as a son of William and Sarah Cotton Wells of Benton, Yates Co., NY, who by DNA testing shows as a descendant of William Welles of Southold, NY, on Long Island.

However, there was also a Joshua Wells who was listed in Benton in 1820/1830 in the area I presume was later Milo as he appears in Milo, Yates Co., NY, in 1840/1850/1860. In 1850 I believe he is shown as Joseph Wells in Milo.

Joshua and his wife Phebe, who is assumed to have been a Briggs, are listed in 1850 as born in NY and NY. In 1860 the census shows VT and VT while later in 1880 their son George Wells indicates that they were born in NY. I assume they were both born in NY.

Joseph Wells in Tuscola Co., MI, in 1880 shows his parents as born in NY.

In the 1830 Census there where sons born between 1820 and 1825, 1815 and 1820, and another born between 1810 and 1815, so Joseph Wells later of Tuscola Co., seems to fit. Joseph Wells was born in Yates Co., as per the Wells DNA Website. If Joseph was born in Yates County August 27, 1816, which was his birth date, he was likely a son of Joshua altought Joseph did not name a son of his Joshua.

As to the ancestry of Joshua Wells, I would venture to guess that because the name Joshua was popular with the descendants of William Wells of early Southold that Joshua of Milo, NY, was a descendant of his. This would make Joshua Wells a W019. A DNA test would be nice.

I would guess that Joshua came to Milo, NY, by way of Goshen, Orange Co., NY, and was related to William Wells also of early Benton,Yates Co.,NY.

Descendants of the Williama Welles family it appears have indicated that they were from CN. I think this came about when the Revolutionary War took place and many Welles' took refuge in CN but later returned to NY. Some later went to Goshen, Orange Co., NY.

My Putman and Chambers families came to Wells, Tuscola Co., MI, from Canada, but they were originally from Barrington and Milo, Yates Co., NY. Wells Township was named for Joseph Wells.

My Chambers family also married into the Briggs family in Milo, NY.

Mark
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
annodnnyl 23 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT 
Carole Alden 27 Jan 2002 5:39AM GMT 
Donna 24 Feb 2002 9:24PM GMT 
Bonita Hillme... 26 Aug 2012 3:43PM GMT 
Mark Putnam 26 Aug 2012 10:41PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions