Search for content in message boards

Distinguishing New Amsterdam De Vries Men

Replies: 0

Distinguishing New Amsterdam De Vries Men

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 5:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: DeVries, Dolson, Van Dolson
1. I descend from a man known as Jan Gerritsen DeVries, whose descendants or possibly himself later adopted the name Van Dolson, Dolson, and variants. He was a shipbuilder, carpenter, and perhaps the captain of a ship, and lived in Harlem. He is often (incorrectly, I believe) identified with Jan De Vries, mulatto son and sole heir of Captain Jan DeVries (who likely died in the Princess Amelia shipwreck) and his slave, Elara d'Criolle. Sometimes he's incorrectly identified with the Captain, himself. Jan Gerritsen married Gerritje Krey, daughter of early settler Teunis Krey.

2. Captain Jan DeVries, mentioned above, who had a mulatto son with his slave Elara (aka Hillary) d'Criolle. He appears to have arrived at Manhattan on board the Princess Amelia (perhaps from Brazil) in May 1647 and was likely en route on that ship to Amsterdam to testify in the Kieft prosecution. He certainly died around that time, whether it was in the wreck or not.

3. Jan DeVries, aforementioned mulatto son of Capt. Jan and Elara. I don't know if there is any verifiable mention of him after childhood or not.

4. Capt. David DeVries- a big wig who was an important figure in the early settlement of New Amsterdam. Easy to confuse with the other Capt. DeVries.

I'm hoping this thread can be used to flesh out confirmed details of each man and his confirmed relations so that it becomes a bit easier to know what sources refer to one and not the other.

Find a board about a specific topic