My name is Bradford Marshall Fields and I am researching the Marshall side of my family. According to my research, Alfred and Hannah are part of my family tree. I would appreciate any information you could provide on the Woody's & Marshalls in North Carolina.
I have the following information;
Alfred III MARSHALL was born 1806 in NC, and died 1876.
He was the son of Alfred II MARSHALL.
1. Info from PPL History of Hendricks Co. - Alfred III MARSHALL came to Parke Co, Indiana in 1830 then moved to Howard Co, Indiana in 1846.
2. At the age of 56, he volunteered for service in the Civil War and served with Co "C" 149th Indiana Infantry. Alfred had 5 sons in the Union Army.
Hannah WOODY was born in Guilford County,NC, and died 1856. She was the daughter of Joshua (possibly John) WOODY. I believe John Woody ran a ferry across the Haw River duringthe Revolutionary War.
Children of Hannah WOODY and Alfred III MARSHALL are:
a. Mary Ellen MARSHALL was born 14 APR 1849, and died 28 AUG 1922. She married David William HADLEY 7 MAR 1869, son of George Marshall HADLEY and Rachel DOANE. He was born 15 JUN 1839/1840, and died 21 OCT 1904.
1. Birth & death date, marriage from: "A Hadley Genealogy" Vol III, Pub by The Hadley Genealogical Soc. of So. Calif. Pub 1974 page 117.
b. Mahlon Woody MARSHALL was born 1840, and died 13 APR 1926 in Rockville, Indiana . He married Rhoda HADLEY 30 AUG 1877, daughter of Simon HADLEY and Eunice HOBSON. She was born 15 OCT 1855 in Marshall, IN, and died 28 APR 1889 in Rockville, Indiana.
1. SPOUSE: HISTORY OF MONTGOMERY COUNTY, KANSAS pg. 722- 723; copy in possession of Terry McLean, Anaheim CA; FILE: HS Kansas File.
2. Birth & death date, marriage from: "A Hadley Genealogy" Vol III, Pub by The Hadley Genealogical Soc. of So. Calif. Pub 1974 page 134.
3. From Sherri Rice: Mahlon Woody Marshall donated a large portion of the land for the town of Marshall, Indiana (where Marshall got its name). His name is on the cornerstone of the Court House in Rockville, Indiana, as one of the commissioners for the building of the structure. He was also the Rockville Post Master for many years, and was a veteran of the Civil War.
Source: Written notes from William Hadley Seybold to Sherri Hadley Rice - 9-12-2000.
4. Info from PPL History of Hendricks Co - Served in 85th Indiana Infantry and was captured near Danville, KY. He was confined to Libby Prison for 6 months.
c. Emeline MARSHALL was born 18 OCT 1835 in Kokomo, IN. She married Jonathan HADLEY 21 AUG 1853, son of John T. HADLEY and Elizabeth JOHNSON. He was born 9 OCT 1831, and died 22 MAY 1875.
d. Thomas Stafford MARSHALL was born 4 MAY 1834 in Kokomo IN. He married Mary Ann HADLEY 24 AUG 1856, daughter of John T. HADLEY and Elizabeth JOHNSON. She was born Abt 1838.
1. PPL History of Hendricks Co - Thomas Stafford MARSHALL served in Union Army Co "B" 117th Indiana Infantry.
2. Children of Mary Ann HADLEY and Thomas Stafford MARSHALL are:
a. Alice MARSHALL. She married Zacharia TAYLOR. She married GILKERSON.
b. Eva MARSHALL. She married Levi STUART.
c. Elizabeth M MARSHALL. She married Julius KENNEDY.
d. Minnie MARSHALL.
e. Matilda MARSHALL.
e. Jonathon S MARSHALL was born 23 APR 1845 in Bloomingdale, Parke Co., IN, and died 8 DEC 1934. He married Nancy A CLEMENS 23 SEP 1867. She was born 1851 in Greensburg, IN, and died 22 JUN 1931 in Danville, Hendrick County, IN.
f. Eli L MARSHALL
1. Info from PPL History of Hendricks Co - Eli L MARSHALL served in the 51st Indiana Infantry, and later in the 148th Indiana Infantry.
g. William MARSHALL
1. Info from PPL History of Hendricks Co - William MARSHALL served in the 27th Iowa Infantry for three years.
h. Margaret MARSHALL
i. Elizabeth MARSHALL