Search for content in message boards

Birth record for John Bennett McKenzie born March 15, 1777 in (then) Anson County

Replies: 0

Birth record for John Bennett McKenzie born March 15, 1777 in (then) Anson County

Posted: 16 Oct 2013 9:28AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: McKenzie
Hi! I am doing some research for friends of mine and the subject individual is the patriarch of the family - the first (I believe) born in America. We believe that his parents emigrated from Scotland in, perhaps, the 1770s. I was able to track down his obituary and here is an excerpt:

"He was born near Rockingham, in Richmond county, North Carolina, on the 15th day of March, 1777, eight months after the Declaration of the Independence of the United States. In 1805 he was married in the same County to Agnes Gibson, who was just ten years his junior, and who died November 6th, 1867, after living with her husband for sixty-two years."

As I understand it, Richmond County was formed from Anson County in 1779 so John would actually have been born in Anson County. Are there any birth records, such as ledger books or somesuch, whch might still be extant? And perhaps held in the county courthouse or elsewhere? I have reached a brick wall in my research and it would be great if I could learn the names of John's parents of any other information regarding this family.

So thank you to the kind soul who can help me in my quest.

Tom Nelson, Kansas City, MO

P.S. Here is a link if you'd like to see the actual obituary:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=36...

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions