Search for content in message boards

Tudor Family in Early Bertie County

Replies: 0

Tudor Family in Early Bertie County

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 7:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
I need the help of Bertie County genealogists. I am trying to trace James, Henry, and Anne Tudor who were located in early Bertie County.

James is first mentioned in Albermarle, NC:

Albemarle County:
1729-32. James Tuder paid quit rents to his majesty the king, 29 Sep 1729 to Mar 1732 for 100 acres of land (N. C. Colonial Records, book 22, Pg 243). See Bertie County.

He then bought land in Bertie:

(1) 1732, 29 Nov. Henry Jernigan of Nansemond Co., Va to James Tudor 11/29/1732 10 lbs
for 100A at Villiage Swamp adj John Williams land formerly granted Geo.
Stevenson for 640A (pat) dtd 8/1728 wit: Needham Bryan, Theophilus Williams. (Village Swamp is where today Village Gate is located in Bertie County; it is south of Woodville on route 11.)
(2) 1735, 29 Nov. D:139. Henry Jernagan of Nansemond in VA, planter, to James Tudor of Bertie. For [£10?], 100 acres patented as 140 acres by George Stevenson 8 Aug 1728, adj John Williams Villige Swamp. Including improvements. /s/ Henry Jernagan & a seal. W: Needham Bryan, Theophilus Williams. Acknowledged. (The Jernigan Connection Newsleter).
(3) The 1736 will of Henry Jernigan identifies his land as joining James Tudor.

Anne Tudor is also mentioned in Bertie in 1735:

1736, 7 Jan. Deed Abstract: Anne Tudor, widow of Thomas Raysens. Witnesses: William Theopilus, John Howard, and Henry Barker.

Henry is mentioned several times in Bertie:

1732, 19 Mar: Will of Humphrey Morrell. Grandsons: JOSEPH and JOHN PEARS. Daughter and Executrix: ELIZABETH WATS. Mother: ELIZABETH MORREL. Witnesses: WILLIAM SIMES, ANN BURK, HENRY TUDOR. No probate.
1735 H Tudar witness to a land gift.
1736. Will of John Allen. 1736, Jan 8. August Court, 1736. Sons: WILLIAM and RICHARD. Daughters: CATHRINE and MARGARET ALLIN. Wife and Executrix: ELIZABETH. Witnesses: THOMAS MANDEN, ISAAC RICKS and HENRY TUDOR. Clerk of the Court: JNO. WYNNS.
1736 Will of Thomas Mandue 17 April. Henry Tudor witness to will.

I cannot find James, Henry, or Anne Tudor after 1736. I believe Henry may have gone back to Virginia to Surry/Sussex County. Appreciate any help a fellow genealogist can give me.

Find a board about a specific topic