Mel, I have some of these names. It's quite an undertaking to separate them properly, with so many of the same names. Especially when they move into other states and name children after family members.
Seems that John/Martha Carter were common names back then, with "Patsy" being a brief form of Martha :o My g-grandfather went to Appling County, now Wayne and Pearce Counties, but don't know what drew him there. This is what I have in my Carter line branch alone.
John Carter b. ca.1790 m. Martha Tucker? John may have been frm VA initially, but it would seem that he moved his family into NC in the 1840s (according to article on John Wesley Carter, son of Neil Carter (grandson of Rev. Zach Carter) in book "Building an Ancient Commonwealth - NC, Vol II").
John Carter and Martha Tucker had these children:
1. Asenath Carter b. 1817 m. Claiborne Ivey
2. Alice Carter b. ca.1819
3. Alexander Carter, b. 1822 m. 1. Sarah Herring and 2. Orra Edmunds?/Lovett? (b. 1832 d. 1871)**
4. Rev Zachariah Carter b. 1824-187 7 m. Elizabeth Lamb (served in Civil War. SEE: Find A Grave Memorial# 67768637). Had 15 children.
5. Harriett Carter b. 1826 m. William Rice (Britts, NC). Buried in Rice Fam Cemetery, Robeson NC.
6. John R. Carter b. 1829 m. Ann Smith ?? (There are 2 of these). Had issue.
7. Henry Carter b. 1830-1863 (died in Civil War) m. Delaney Hardin. Had issue.
8. Thomas Carter b. 1829-1862 (died in Civil War)
There were large families back then, and they went into different areas. Robeson County, NC was Bladen County until 1827.
My line came from **Alexander Carter Sr (1822). One of his sons, Leonard Carter m. Ella Roberson, daughter of Jacob Roberson and Nancy Hires of Appling Co, GA. Ella had 1 son, Clyde L. Carter, and she died of complications when he was 6 mos old. Clyde L. Carter m. Katie Grace McPipkin, daughter of John H. McPipkin (NC) and Claudia Cason of Ware Cty, GA. Other siblings and Pedigree Chart.
Clyde L. Carter and Katie McPipkin had 5 children. My father was the eldest, Hal Wesley Carter, b. 1915 Jesup GA. You can read his BIO on Find A Grave Memorial #54099829.
Zachariah Carter also has a BIO on Find A Grave Memorial #67768637. This may be able to help you since there are other names linked to them, including John Carter and Martha Tucker as Zach's parents. Hope this helps. Let me know if we have some common links. Thanks for asking. Linda