Search for content in message boards

Looking for Simon/Simeon Smith, born about 1821

Replies: 0

Looking for Simon/Simeon Smith, born about 1821

Posted: 25 Oct 2010 3:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Mar 2013 12:56PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Allen, Jones
This Simon/Simeon Smith moved to Sumter County, Georgia, and had two children, Mary Ann Smith (b. about 1847) and Thomas J. Smith (b. about 1848/49).

Mary Ann and Thomas ended up back in Bladen county by 1860, first living with Jonas Smith (1860 Census-Note: Jonas was living next door to Simon and family in Sumter, GA in 1850 Census and the two were working for the same farmer, William Quick, as overseers.) and then with Stephan Smith (1870 Census). Mary Ann (b. 1847) married Henry Smith (son of Stephan Smith). Unable to locate her death certificate (about mid-1890's). Thomas' death and first marriage certificates say his father was Simon Smith, with the marriage certificate indicating Simon was from Bladen County. Thomas' mother's name is listed as Mary Smith (maiden name possibly Jones-from Thomas' death certif.) and was also from Bladen County (Thomas' marriage certif.).

Simeon/Simon remarried to Ann Caroline McLain in January, 1850 in Sumter, GA(have marriage certificate; doesn't list parents.) and then to a Mary Ann a few years later, possibly in Sumter, GA. Simon/Simeon and Mary Ann had four more children (Martha Smith, James P. Smith, Augustus J. Smith and another son?) in Sumter, Georgia. Simon/Simeon is dead by 1880; unable to locate a death certificate for Simon/Simeon. Have three of Simon/Simeon's land deeds in Georgia. Also have land deed in NC stating that the four children listed above and Thomas J. Smith are heirs of the Simon Smith estate.

Martha Smith married Valvend Allen, and one of Valvend & Martha's children moved to Crenshaw county, AL.

I suspect that Simon/Simeon Smith might be a relative (brother?) of the above mentioned Jonas Smith and Stephan Smith, but I need proof. The census records aren't very helpful, and any Smith paperwork that I have doesn't mention a Simon/Simeon born about 1821 in Bladen.

Can someone help me? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions