Search for content in message boards

GATES family in Buncombe County, NC

Replies: 2

GATES family in Buncombe County, NC

Anita Summers (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jul 2001 8:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: GATES,GROOKS
I am interested in any information the Gates family in Buncombe County, NC. My ancestor is Peter Austin Gates (b1816), son of Silas Valentine Gates (b1782), grandson of Hezekiah Gates (b1757), g-grandson of Charles Gates (b1738).

Peter Austin Gates married Sarah Brooks. They moved to Gilmer County, Georgia before 1850. Sarah's obituary states that the Gates family lived in Buncombe County at Gates Ferry. I have not yet found any information about where Gates Ferry was located, but I know that the family owned land on the French Broad River. I find it interesting that a Charles Gates (who may have been part of this same family)ran a ferry in Gwinnett County, GA.

As mentioned above, I have a copy of Sarah Brooks Gates' obituary which I would be happy to share. I also have pages from my great-grandfather's Bible, one of which lists older births and marriages, including Hezekiah Gates (b1757) and Silas Valentine Gates (b1782). I will be happy to share copies with anyone who is researching this family. Send your name and mailing address to ace@ellijay.com.

I would love to hear from anyone who has information about where this family lived before coming to Buncombe County, their migration route through VA,NC,SC,GA, and where Charles, Hezekiah, and Silas V. might have been buried. I would also like to find out anything about Gates Ferry and where it was located.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Anita Summers 20 Jul 2001 2:56PM GMT 
anitadsummers 29 May 2012 3:07PM GMT 
romandog 28 Nov 2012 12:14AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic