Search for content in message boards

James Levi Bailey

Replies: 6

Re: James Levi Bailey

Posted: 23 Jun 2014 7:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am interested in establishing contact with persons studying James Levi Bailey....

My grandfather, another James Levi Bailey, is descended from Baileys who settled first in Rowley, Mass., in the colonial period. After one of the family, a Samuel Bailey, was killed in the Battle of Bunker Hill, Samuel's son moved to Vermont and began a very successful milling operation at Bailey's Mills. That small community still exists and the large home is today a Bed and Breakfast. When we visited there some years ago we were shown a secret trap door leading to a hidden room that was a stop on the Underground Railroad.

My grandfather's father, Ransom Bailey, left Vermont and settled first at Baileyville, Illinois, and then moved to Iowa. I was born in Iowa but my work brought me back East to New Jersey.

Several years ago my wife met a woman from Virginia whose name was Bailey, and who claimed that her ancestors also were involved in helping slaves get up North and eventually to Canada.

My question is this: Is it a coincidence that there were two James Levi Baileys, and could there be any connection with that underground railroad.

James Martin Bailey
martbailey@aol.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
WandaHarward 30 Mar 2002 2:21AM GMT 
ralphbailey31 8 Nov 2002 5:08PM GMT 
kiralinn 10 Nov 2002 11:15PM GMT 
TheresaBailey... 26 Mar 2013 12:25AM GMT 
ralphbailey31 5 Apr 2013 5:30AM GMT 
J Martin Bail... 23 Jun 2014 1:18PM GMT 
xxFayeTurcato 13 Feb 2004 3:13PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic