Search for content in message boards

Roberts family help needed

Replies: 5

Re: Roberts family help needed

Posted: 26 Oct 2011 5:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Roberts, Beshears, Carter, Brank
I think you'll find that the Robert/Elizabeth/Nancy/Sis family of the 1850 census for Cherokee GA can be found in a crazy-making transcription of the 1860 Pickens county GA census, currently indexed on Ancestry as:
Robt Roblerdo 34
Elithabeth Roblerdo 32
Nancy D Roblerdo 10
Susanna E Roblerdo 8
Annas P Roblerdo 6
Mary E Roblerdo 4
Robt H Roblerdo 3

I have some notes taken from the research of Blanche Roberts Robertson and her mother Minnie Brank Roberts, most of which I believe is on file at OBCGS. Blanche's notes indicate that the notion of the "Beshears" surname came from Col. George Byers, a Deweese researcher from South Bend, Indiana who passed away in 1987, I think. She notes that some descendants believe that Elizabeth's surname was "Carter," and Blanche conjectures that if that's the case, she may have been a relative of John S. Roberts' (brother of Robert G. Roberts) wife Elizabeth Carter. He and several other Buncombe families moved to Rabun County, GA in about 1821. Blanche was never able to prove either Beshears or Carter.

She also has a note that "descendants say he [Bob Roberts] killed a man over a land dispute, was believed to have fled to kin in Texas. His wife died soon after, and children were apprenticed to kin." This is supposed to have happened in about 1865. (This info may have come from Audrey Dills of Clarkesville, GA.)

I am a descendant of Robert G. Roberts' brother Alfred Burton Roberts.

Hope this helps.

Dorinda W.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jsybalsky 4 Sep 2011 5:42PM GMT 
James Roberts... 5 Sep 2011 8:36AM GMT 
jsybalsky 15 Oct 2011 5:36PM GMT 
James Roberts... 17 Oct 2011 9:29AM GMT 
Dorinda55 26 Oct 2011 11:13AM GMT 
jsybalsky 22 Oct 2012 9:27PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic