Search for content in message boards

Fox,Eller,Noblit,Parham,Swaim

Replies: 17

Re: Penland

Posted: 8 Apr 2014 7:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Apr 2014 11:15PM GMT
Hi Carojoh,

My name is Ron Penland. I have quite a few records on the Penlands all the way back to the 1700's. I do have a record of a George Penland (1753-1829) who did die in Buncombe County and did have a son named William, but his wifes name is listed as Comfort Adeline Mull, however, George's Brother, Robert(1744-1828), also had a son named William who married a Mary Polly (maiden name not given? Just written as Mary Polly Penland). There are two G.W. Penlands listed in my records(One was my great grandfather and the other was his cousin). Unfortunately, neither of thems mothers name was Mary. My ggrandfathers mothers name was Nancy A and his fathers name was Robert C Penland and the other G.W. Penlands mom was Patience M and his dad was H.M. Penland, Robert C.'s Brother. Their fathers name was also George(1778-1877), who was the son of Robert above..

Having said all of that and probably getting you confused, do you think maybe George's brother, Robert, is the one who had the son William who married your ggggrandmother, Mary Casey? His wifes name is listed as Mary Polly Penland? As for the G.W's I know my greatgrandfather, G.W., didn't have a daughter named Mary Jane-don't know about the other G.W but his name was George Wiley according to records I have and his moms name is listed as Patience Moore. Maybe Robert's son William had a son named G.W? Seems the Penlands pretty much stick with the same names for their kids?LOL

Maybe if you research Robert Penland(4/22/1744-4/16/1828) you can find the info you need? You can contact me at justa_driver@yahoo.com if you have any questions about this? Be safe

A couple of footnotes to keep in mind:
1. According to the records I have, the Pentlands migrated to NJ and PA from Scotland in the 1600's. Some time after they arrived in America, the "T" was dropped from their name.
2. Three of the brothers (George, Robert and William(1745-1815) migrated to North Carolina (while at least some part of TN was still NC) to start the Penland name in that state so if you research those three names, you are bound to come up with the info you are looking for..

Again this is based on info I have received from other people as well as research I myself have done.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Mimi Lathan 23 Sep 1998 12:00PM GMT 
carojoh 7 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT 
angelaVargas5... 26 Nov 2001 10:42PM GMT 
cj80 27 Nov 2001 3:36AM GMT 
angelaVargas5... 27 Nov 2001 9:12PM GMT 
Ron Penland 9 Apr 2014 1:57AM GMT 
Margo Eller Adams 22 Jan 2002 2:02AM GMT 
Judith Steinb... 22 Nov 2013 11:43PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic