Search for content in message boards

Location of Wilsons in Burke County

Replies: 14

Re: Location of Wilsons in Burke County

Posted: 20 Jan 2012 3:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Bob,

I'm a bit concerned about whether there is strong enough evidence that the Joseph and Mary Wilson you are focused upon in Burke County are the parents of your Joseph L. Wilson (born 1808) who migrated to Missouri. I am not questioning your research at all (especially as you are hindered by being in Michigan with limited access to original records). I'm simply raising a caution flag because I have chased many people, collected lots of information about them, and eventually learned I was following the wrong leads. I still hold those folks in great esteem and call them "my former ancestors." Just a bit of humor.

When we discussed your Joseph Wilson family a couple of years ago, your inquiry purpose was to document that Mary Wilson, widow of Joseph Wilson, requested her dower land in 1810. I provided a transcript and citation for her petition to the Burke County Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions along with a few other references from court minutes plus some Burke County deed transactions executed by a Joseph Wilson.

If the above items do apply to the parents of your Joseph L. Wilson, the people involved in laying off his mother Mary Wilson's dower and the administrator of his father Joseph's estate were living in the area that is present-day *McDowell County*.

I am the transcriber of the 1815 Burke County tax list of Captain White's Company (mentioned in another message before you told us which Wilsons you are looking for). The citation is Burke County Tax Lists, box no. CR.014.703.3, North Carolina State Archives. A Joseph Wilson is listed with "[blank] acres cheef [chiefly] ridge land lying on Huneycut Creek joyning of Thos Yongs land with the improvements thereon valued at $100" and another "200 acres of ridge land on the waters of South toe river with no improvements thereon valued at $50." ***The problem here is that your Joseph L. Wilson was only age 7 in 1815 if he was born in 1808, so this tax list item does not seem to belong to your Joseph L. Wilson.***

Did you follow up on my 2010 suggestion to acquire the 1829 Burke County estate papers for a Joseph Wilson? I explained then how 1829 papers could pertain to a man who died before July 1810. Those can be purchased from the North Carolina Room, Burke County Public Library; we aren't talking big bucks (maybe $2-5 or so).

A really interesting and kinda fun exercise is to prepare a documented chronology of events beginning with known facts about the latest generation of the family and working back to earlier generations. When I do this, I sometimes am pleasantly surprised that there is strong evidence on hand and sometimes I am disappointed that I don't yet have the best evidence for proof of descent.

I hope this helps a bit!

Kathy

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
imacuzz1 20 Jan 2012 5:12AM GMT 
KathyGunterSu... 20 Jan 2012 2:11PM GMT 
joannelibera 20 Jan 2012 2:27PM GMT 
imacuzz1 20 Jan 2012 5:05PM GMT 
KathyGunterSu... 20 Jan 2012 6:29PM GMT 
imacuzz1 20 Jan 2012 7:02PM GMT 
KathyGunterSu... 20 Jan 2012 10:35PM GMT 
imacuzz1 22 Jan 2012 4:39PM GMT 
KathyGunterSu... 22 Jan 2012 5:52PM GMT 
imacuzz1 23 Jan 2012 4:51PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions