Search for content in message boards

Civil War letters

Replies: 13

Civil War letters

RON PENNINGER (View posts)
Posted: 11 Feb 1999 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: LINKER, RINEHART, COLEMAN, TUCKER, CARRIKER, HARTSELL

This letter is one of two written soon after the battle at Chancellorsville. It was penned by someone else within the Company or Regiment (company I ,7th North Carolina) . Most of Company I were enlisted from Cabarrus County. The 7th NC was assigned to the Branch/Lane Brigade. The list of killed and wounded will be familiar to many in the County.
I have attempted to type the letter as written and spelled. I did add punctuation to make it
easier to read. On the same sheet of paper Leaonard wrote to Danl Linker who appears to have been his father-in-law.
This letter and seventeen others are in Duke University Rare Books and Manuscripts Collection. Five original letters were given to my wife by her Grandmother Bessie May Cranford. Leaonard was Bessie's grandfather.
I will post each letter that has names in them as each is "translated". Hope they give someone a little more insight into their heritage.
Ron Penninger

Camp Gregg Va

May 9th 63
Dear Wife,

I seat myself this morning to drop you a few lines in anwser to yours
which came to hand yesterday morning. I was glad to hear that you was all
well and doing well. I am well with the exception of bad cold. I haven't any
thing to write only concerning the battle it was a desperate thing. The hotest
place ever this Regt has been into. The Yanks killed and wounded in our Regt
two hundred an fourteen or fifteen. Among the killed is Wm Rinehart, Rusfus
Motley and among wounded is Wm ? Linker, Ap?? Coleman, Asa Linker
Madison Tucker, John Carriker, James Hartsell, that you know. We also lost our
Capt killed. It was a perfect nite our Regt advanced in line of battle within two
hundred yards of the yankey breastworks, where they had twenty eight pieces
of artilery playing on us, an three lines of battle of infantry between us and the
cannon. We were compelled to fall back, old Stuart charged their battery with one
of our batteries and ????? the cavalry round to their rear and soon routed them taken
part of their guns but the most desperate firing ever I heard was there. After lying
in line of battle eight days we could not find a yanky on this side of the river, only
the prisoners and dead. We taken seven thousand prisoners an our line. The 9th day.
we marched to old camp greg we got here late in morning .We were tremendous
tired and it seems very lonesome so many of the boys being absent .We have only twenty one men left in our company. We are very hungry we haven't had anything
to eat since we got back ,only a few crackers we drawed up there on the battlefield.
The reason is, the wagons are all employed hauling off the wounded and the guns
and other plunder, You never saw the like of blankets and napsachs ,in all the days
of your life. I will close lest I weary your patience. Nothing more. Write soon I hope this may find you all well I come through safe.
Your husband Leonard Almon

To Caroline Almon
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
RON PENNINGER 11 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Gary Horton 22 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Cleta Terrell 7 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT 
pwilson411 2 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Jerry Coleman 24 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT 
MARY ALMON PUGH 16 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Jerry Coleman 17 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT 
jansag1 31 Aug 2007 3:36PM GMT 
jnleckhart1 22 Dec 2011 3:47AM GMT