Search for content in message boards

McPherson in Camden, NC

Replies: 12

Re: McPherson in Camden, NC

Posted: 7 May 2013 10:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
The previous message concerned McPhersons after 1850 for which marriage records survive...very few of the marriage bonds survive from the pre-1850 time.
The only online documentation which I know of is the estate records which are found at www.familysearch.org - check out all of the McPhersons in both Pasquotank and Camden as both had McPhersons. (Check out Taylor and Gregorys as well)

Taylor, Gregory and McPherson are all Camden and Pasquotank names, so you are probably in the right area. I didn't find a will for a Joseph in Pasquotank and wills in Camden before 1822 didn't survive, so the answer (if not in estate records) will probably be in land records. I see in Camden County (from "Kinsfolk of Camden County" where Joseph and Jonathan sold land together as if it were inherited in 1803. Joseph Jr and Joshua were witnesses. I'm sure there are many instances in Pasquotank records listing them together pre-1777. I didn't see them owning land together in Brayton's deed abstracts for Pasquotank 1750-1770 but I did see Joseph and Joshua both witnessing the same deed several times. Bjorkman in her book for Pasquotank deeds of 1700-1751 has Joseph and Moses both witnessing the same deeds. She also had Thomas Lewis of Pasquotank and Daniel McPherson of Norfolk County (VA) selling land to Joseph McPherson of Pasquotank on the NE side of the river (later Camden County) in 1747 ...Moses witnessed that as well

I'm associated with the Family Research Society of Northeastern NC and you can email the society (me) at frsnnc2@hotmail.com --- I WOULD LOVE to have a copy of that hand-written bio which you mentioned.

The only other method of getting the records would be on microfilm through inter-library loan. The 1700-1751 and the 1750-1770 abstracts are the only abstracted deeds I know of for Pasquotank.

Sharon Gable
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jshake_1 7 May 2013 2:50AM GMT 
reagable 7 May 2013 4:08PM GMT 
ddavisonnc 21 Oct 2005 2:54AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions