Search for content in message boards

James Bass - Mulatto Slave?

Replies: 2

James Bass - Mulatto Slave?

Posted: 16 Apr 2011 9:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello ~

I am trying to find out what information there might be out there on a James Bass' family prior to the Civil War and/or 1860's. James, his wife Alcia (Alsey, Alsie, Alcey) and there children left North Carolina, prior to 1860 and moved to Xenia, Greene County, Ohio, then to New Garden Twp., Wayne County, Indiana (just north of Fountain City, Indiana, where the underground railroad ended at Levi Coffin's house), then to Van Buren County, Michigan, where they spent the rest of there lives. They are listed as Mulatto in the 1850 U.S. Census for Camden County, NC. So I am trying to find out what information I can on there life in Camden County, NC. I believe I found some of them listed in a Bible book from 1858-1860, having been a part of the McBride Church near South Mills. I think James' mother was Polly Bass, but I cannot find any husband or father listed.

How can I found out if they were free slaves? Were they Mulatto because their fathers were the Masters (slave owners)? Or, maybe they were white and Indian, rather then white and black. Would there be any documentation available out there, that would give me any information about them in Camden County, NC?

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thank you in advance ~ Kris
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Kris_Kronlein 17 Apr 2011 3:48AM GMT 
MyraGregory36 25 Jun 2011 5:54PM GMT 
MyraGregory36 25 Jun 2011 5:59PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic