Search for content in message boards

Jacob Needham of Camden North Carolina & Family

Replies: 1

Jacob Needham of Camden North Carolina & Family

Posted: 19 Jul 2011 6:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Jul 2011 6:34PM GMT
Surnames: Needham
I am looking for information on the Needham family of Camden Co. NC pre 1850 There were a few so let me explain.

I am a descendant of Jacob Needham b.1838 His line moved to California between 1870-1880. Several of his brothers and sisters stayed out in Camden, NC. His mother's name was Dinah (unknown maiden name/not Bray), Father deceased before 1850 census but after 1848.

I do not believe it is Dinah Bray because there is no sources or evidence to prove it. (It is all hear-say over ancestry that Dinah Bray married Bailey Needham and that is the same Dinah, mother to Jacob & his brother John that married Lydia. There are no sources to back this up and the dates are wrong). I call this the "Magic Bailey Theory" Let me explain.

Bailey Needham born from the Thomas Needham line goes roughly like this -
Thomas Needham SR. b.1622 England d.1690 Elizabeth City VA
Thomas Needham JR. b.1675 Elizabeth City VA d.1740 Pasquotank NC
Thomas Needham III b.1710 Elizabeth City VA d.1746 Pasquotank NC
BAILEY NEEDHAM b.1740 Camden NC d.??

Now look at the Dinah born Needhams. Soloman was born 1849 according to the 1850 Census. So that means Bailey (@ 108) was still having sex! I think not. Older men (60+) did marry 20 year old women back then but come on! There could be a generation or 2 missing which would connect Bailey Needham to the Dinah Needham in the 1850 census. But without proof, your assumptions are short-sided. There are other Bailey Needhams but again, none that fit the timeline according to the 1850 census. I have looked at this for sometime and found nothing that connects that Bailey & my Dinah Needham. I am convinced that they are 2 separate Needham line. Which brings us to now... If someone has proof, please show me and I will eat my words! :)

I am looking for facts that can be verified! If you have info on the following people I appreciate some help. Please give your sources also that would connect.

Dinah Needham b.1791 married ?? Needham in ??
Children: John b.1811, Nancy b.1830?, Ferebee b.1827, Susan b.1832, Jacob b.1838, Soloman b.1849 all born in Camden NC

Also, If anyone is interested, I inherited Jacob Needhams family bible which came with him from NC to California. I can get you the information within it upon request. Unfortunately, the family history starts with his marriage and children and not his parents :(

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
brneyegr 20 Jul 2011 12:31AM GMT 
reagable 20 Aug 2011 8:25PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions