Search for content in message boards

Evan Sawyer - b. 1831 Camden County, NC

Replies: 3

Re: Evan Sawyer - b. 1831 Camden County, NC

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 2:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
You can buy the book at the same place you purchsaed WB C - the Family Research Society of NENC :-) The web site is http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ncfrsnnc/

It's possible that the Abner listed on page 31 is your Abner - there really isn't enough info to tell. There were multiple Abner Sawyers at that time. Something in the deeds might answer your question. You can request copies of deeds from the Register of Deeds in Camden County or get the microfilm through Inter-library loan so you can check a number of deeds.

I found an Abner Sawyer in "Camden County NC Extant Tax Records 1782-1890) - but only one listing. He was taxed for 100 acres of land and one white poll (which would have been him) in 1815. The tax was listed under Isaac Gregory who had 160 acres and no polls as if Isaac Gregory paid the tax for Abner (if this is the right Abner). Also note there were multiple Isaac Gregorys.

There were no formal adoptions back then....you are talking about a man born ca 1790s - we were barely Americans then. The words adopted and alias together are bothering. Alias often means that Gregory was her maiden name, but it can also mean illigitimate. You also need to consider that there were multuiple Evan Sawyers at this time frame. Your best bet would be determining how this Abner got 100 acres, but I'd first find out how much land was divided among his children and where it was located to determine if this Abner and the one who left land which was divided between his children are the same tract of land - not easy, and definitely not online or abstracted any where.

The book I referenced called Kinsfolk only list deeds in which the author saw relationships - not all deeds.

You can email the Family Research Society of NE NC at frsnnc2@hotmail.com - I answer questions for people there and try and help with NE NC questions.
Sharon Rea Gable
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
bfe43 30 Nov 2012 9:51PM GMT 
reagable 1 Dec 2012 2:14PM GMT 
bfe43 3 Dec 2012 4:48PM GMT 
reagable 3 Dec 2012 9:37PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions