Search for content in message boards

relatives from sea level

Replies: 45

Re: Elijah Gaskill

Posted: 25 Sep 2004 8:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Sep 2006 1:08PM GMT
Surnames: GASKILL
Don here is the information on Elijah Gaskill's ancestors as I have it. I'm sure there are errors and much more that can be added. I am posting the first four generations of the Gaskill family which is what I think you were asking about.

GASKILL, FOUR GENERATIONS

Generation No. 1

1. WILLIAM1 GASKILL died July 1703.

Children of WILLIAM GASKILL are:
2. i. WILLIAM2 GASKILL, b. Abt. 1700; d. 1770, Portsmouth Island, NC.
ii. THOMAS GASKILL.
iii. JEAN GASKILL.
iv. JANE GASKILL.
v. ELIZABETH GASKILL, m. THOMAS DURANT.

Generation No. 2

2. WILLIAM2 GASKILL (WILLIAM1) was born Abt. 1700, and died 1770 in Portsmouth Island, NC. He married ANN JARRETT Abt. 1725, daughter of JOHN JARRETT and CATHERINE. She was born Abt. 1705.

Notes for WILLIAM GASKILL:
[JACOB GASKILL.GED]

GASKILL
By ELLEN F. CLOUD

Research of The names GASKILL and GASKINS calls for a lot of patience and common sense. These two names were continuously intertwined. One wonders if the two were at one time the same, and because of difference in pronunciation and, or, spelling, they became two separate names. One example is ADAM GASKINS, one of the earliest settlers, was referred to as GASKILL in many documents. This happened to many families as they were called GASKILL and later referred to as a Gaskins.
In Carteret County Reg. of Deeds Book pg the names changes from Gaskins to GASKILL and back to Gaskins several times in the same record.
On the marriage bond of BENJAMINE D. GASKILL (son of William F. GASKILL and SARAH E. OWENS dated located in the Reg. of Deeds office in Swan Quarter, Benjamine is listed as a GASKINS. On the bond his name appears as Benjamine Gaskins three times.
His son Benjamine GASKILL, Jr. married my Grandmother's sister. They had all sons, Gaskills of course and speaking of any one of them my mother distinctly called them Gaskills, but when ever she spoke of their father, she called him Uncle Ben GASKINS. When I questioned her about it, she said "I don't know why but I always called him that," and was quite puzzled about the whole thing. She had never realized that she had been wrong. Talking with other residents I found many people called him Gaskins.
With all these stumbling blocks behind us, I have proven this line as being Gaskills.

The local GASKILL name goes back to a WILLIAM GASKILL of PORTSMOUTH ISLAND. He wrote the will of GEORGE STYRON also of Portsmouth in 1745. It is estimated that he was born about 1700/1705. His wife was ANN JARRETT daughter of JOHN and CATHERINE JARRETT. They were married before 1745 because John Jarrett in his will dated April 13,1745 calls his daughter ANN GASKILL. WILLIAM GASKILL wrote his will in Nov. of 1768. It was probated Dec. 1770. Will Bk D pg 185 Carteret County North Carolina.

Children of WILLIAM GASKILL and ANN JARRETT are:
3. i. ELIZABETH3 GASKILL, b. 1725, Carteret, N.C..
4. ii. WILLIAM GASKILL, b. Abt. 1733; d. 1814.
5. iii. JOHN GASKILL, b. Abt. 1740; d. 1819, Portsmouth Island, Carteret County, NC.
iv. ANN GASKILL, b. Abt. 1745.
v. ESTHER GASKILL, b. Abt. 1749.
6. vi. BENJAMIN GASKILL, b. 1750; d. 1787, Ocracoke, NC.
7. vii. SARAH GASKILL, b. Abt. 1751; d. Carteret, N.C..
8. viii. JACOB GASKILL, b. Abt. 1752.
9. ix. THOMAS GASKILL, b. Abt. 1752.
10. x. JOSEPH GASKILL, b. Abt. 1754; d. 1826.

Generation No. 3

3. ELIZABETH3 GASKILL (WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born 1725 in Carteret, N.C.. She married JOHN WALLACE 1742 in Carteret, N.C., son of ROBERT WALLACE and ESTHER WEST. He was born Abt. 1724 in Carteret, N.C., and died Bef. 1786 in Carteret, N.C..

Notes for JOHN WALLACE:
Other researchers show Elizabeth as the 1st wife of John Wallace of Shell Castle, but this is not the same John Wallace. John Wallace of Shell Castle would have been only 11 years old at the date of this marriage. Elizabeth Gaskill married John Wallace, son of Robert Wallace and Esther West.

Mariner's of The American Revolution, list a John Wallace aboard the "Essex" with Captain Timothy C. Oden. He was captured in June 1781 and committed to Old Mill Prison Aug. 31, 1781. State Papers say he was still there in Jan. 1782. Home office Records show him still there April 1782.

Carteret Co. deed Bk L, pg 23
Sept 20th, 1786, states that he was deceased. (See notes for his daughter Mariam)

I believe this is the John Wallace that married Elizabeth Gaskill and is why we can find no other records of him after this time period.

Child of ELIZABETH GASKILL and JOHN WALLACE is:
i. MARIAM4 WALLACE, b. Abt. 1750; m. JOHN SHEPARD, June 29, 1771, Carteret County, NC.

Notes for MARIAM WALLACE:
In a deed dated 9-20-1786 Mariam Wallace is proven to be the daughter of John Wallace. In this deed her name is spelled Pariam.

Carteret Co. deed Bk L, pg 23
Sept 20th, 1786,
John SHEPARD and PARIAM his wife sells to Joseph WALLACE, JR. for the sum of 16 pounds, conveys a certain piece of land in Carteret County, NC on CORE BANKS, containing 100 acres, being part of a tract of 240 acres, sold by DAVID WALLACE to JOHN WALLACE, by deed dated 25th of May 1768, and by the said JOHN WALLACE Deceased, left to his daughter PARIAM SHEPARD. Bengining at the begining of the said tract at a Bunch of Pellitnerys on the sound side on the south side of White Hill in John Nelson's patent line running S 31 E 128 poles to the sea beach, then to extend so far to the south and west adjoining both the sea and sound as to contain one hundred acres.

4. WILLIAM3 GASKILL (WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born Abt. 1733, and died 1814. He married UNKNOWN Abt. 1775.

Notes for WILLIAM GASKILL:
[JACOB GASKILL.GED]

WILLIAM GASKILL b. d. 1814 son of William Gaskill and Ann Jarrett, wife was unknown and had died before William wrote his will in 1813. Will dated 5 Aug. 1813, proved 1814 names children. Cart. Co. deed Bk D pg 201.

William left his house and 120 acres to son David and 50 acres to daughter Susannah. Rest to be divided between Easter, Lurany, Absalom, Abraham, William, Elias, Deliah, Mariam.

Witness to the will were;
John Styron
James Styron
Asa Bishop

Children of WILLIAM GASKILL and UNKNOWN are:
i. DAVID4 GASKILL, b. Abt. 1776.
ii. SUSANNAH GASKILL, b. Abt. 1778.
iii. WILLIAM GASKILL, b. Abt. 1780.
iv. ESTHER GASKILL, b. Abt. 1782.
v. LURANY GASKILL, b. Abt. 1784.
vi. ABSALOM GASKILL, b. Abt. 1786.
vii. ABRAHAM GASKILL, b. Abt. 1787.
viii. ELIAS GASKILL, b. Abt. 1789.
ix. BEULAH GASKILL, b. Abt. 1791.
x. MARIAM GASKILL, b. Abt. 1793.

5. JOHN3 GASKILL (WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born Abt. 1740, and died 1819 in Portsmouth Island, Carteret County, NC. He married MARIAM. She was born Abt. 1745, and died 1821.

Notes for JOHN GASKILL:

JOHN GASKILL MAR. 30, 1819 Proved May Court 1819

In the name of God Amen, I John Gaskill of Carteret County, being sick in body but of sound mind . . . I give to my beloved wife Miriam during her natural life all my property, including negroes, land, houses, cattle and personal and household property and at her death to be divided as follows: I give to sons James and Anson all the land I own at Straits and Portsmouth equally between them. The rest of my property to be divided among my loving daughters Nancy Davis, Esther Gaskill the children of my daughter Polly Willis, Phebe Fulford, Rebecca Davis, Clarissa Burgess, Elizabeth Gaskill, Dorcas Wade and Jane Wallace, daughter of my son Valentine. Sons James and Anson to be executors.

John Gaskill

Witnessed: Anson Chadwick, Richard Cahill

Carteret Co. Court Records May 1821;
JAMES GASKILL & ANSON GASKILL appointed exectr of estate of JOHN GASKILL decd.

James Gaskill & Anson Gaskill excrs of John Gaskill order that Elijan Pigott, Culpepper Pigot and Samuel Chadwick be appointed to divide among them the slaves and other personal property left them to be divided upon the death of his wife.

Carteret County Reg. of Deeds Book W - pg 34

Where as by the last will and testament of John Gaskill deceased, he left a certain number of negroes to be divided between his children mentioned in his sd will. And whereas his executers James Gaskill and Anson Gaskill have obtained an order of court appointing Samuel Chadwick, Culpepper Pigott, and Elijah Pigott commissioners to divide……….
Sept. 1831

Signed;
Anson Gaskill, agent for Samuel Fulford, Elizabeth Gaskill
James Gaskill, agent for Elijah Willis Esther Gaskill
Richard Whitehurst for Risa Burgess. Wife Anthony Davis
John E. Wallace
Oliver Stewert
Thomas Davis
Registered Dec. 1832.

Children of JOHN GASKILL and MARIAM are:
11. i. NANCY4 GASKILL, b. 1774, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C..
12. ii. ESTHER GASKILL, b. Abt. 1776.
13. iii. JAMES GASKILL, b. 1777, Carteret, N.C.; d. 1836, Carteret, N.C..
14. iv. VALENTINE GASKILL, b. Abt. 1770.
v. POLLY GASKILL, b. Abt. 1780.
15. vi. ANSON GASKILL, b. Abt. 1785; d. 1850.
16. vii. REBECCA GASKILL, b. Abt. 1785, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C..
17. viii. PHEBE GASKILL, d. Bef. 1835.
ix. DORCAS GASKILL, b. Abt. 1788; m. JAMES W. WADE, February 9, 1808, Carteret County, NC.

Notes for JAMES W. WADE:
Valentine Wade and Mary Wallace had a son James Wilson Wade, but I think he would be too old to be the same as James W. Wade that married Dorcas Gaskill. May be a JR. Will research this.

x. CLARISSA GASKILL, b. Abt. 1790; m. WILSON BURGESS, August 10, 1807, Carteret County, NC.
xi. ELIZABETH GASKILL, b. Abt. 1791.

6. BENJAMIN3 GASKILL (WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born 1750, and died 1787 in Ocracoke, NC. He married JANE WILLIAMS Abt. 1778, daughter of JOSEPH WILLIAMS and JANE WAHAB. She was born 1760, and died 1801.

Notes for BENJAMIN GASKILL:
[JACOB GASKILL.GED]

BENJAMINE GASKILL b.ca 1750 d. 1787 son of William Gaskill and Ann Jarrett. m. JANE WILLIAMS OF Ocracoke Island, North Carolina, daughter of JOHN WILLIAMS and wife ELIZABETH. Benjamine died a young man, when his children were but infants. His wife Jane died in 1801. JOHN MAYO of Portsmouth Island was appointed guardian to their son JACOB GASKILL, and Benjamine's nephew, JAMES GASKILL, son of JOHN GASKILL, was appointed guardian of their little daughter HANNAH GASKILL. (Guardian papers State Archives, Raleigh, NC)

Children of BENJAMIN GASKILL and JANE WILLIAMS are:
18. i. JACOB4 GASKILL, b. March 3, 1785, Ocracoke, NC; d. September 4, 1862, Ocracoke, NC.
ii. HANNAH GASKILL, b. Abt. 1780.

7. SARAH3 GASKILL (WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born Abt. 1751, and died in Carteret, N.C.. She married JOSEPH WICKER DAVIS 1764 in Carteret, N.C., son of WILLIAM DAVIS and MARY WICKER. He was born 1747 in Carteret, N.C., and died in Carteret, N.C..

Children of SARAH GASKILL and JOSEPH DAVIS are:
19. i. WILLIAM4 DAVIS, b. 1765, Carteret, N.C.; d. 1836, Carteret, N.C..
20. ii. THOMAS DAVIS, b. 1767, Carteret, N.C.; d. 1826, Carteret, N.C..
iii. JOSEPH WICKER DAVIS, b. 1769, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C.; m. SUSANNA STANTON, 1795, Carteret, N.C.; b. 1771, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C.;.

More About JOSEPH WICKER DAVIS:
Burial: Carteret, N.C.

iv. RHODY DAVIS, b. 1770, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C..
21. v. FRANCES DAVIS, b. 1766, Davis, Carteret, N.C.; d. 1820.

8. JACOB3 GASKILL (WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born Abt. 1752. He married CHRISTANNA (SELBY OR GIBBS) Abt. 1773. She was born in Hyde County, NC.

Notes for JACOB GASKILL:
[JACOB GASKILL.GED]

There was a JOSEPH and WILLIAM that may have also been sons ??

Children of JACOB GASKILL and CHRISTANNA GIBBS) are:
22. i. ANTHONY4 GASKILL, b. Abt. 1774; d. Bef. November 1829.
23. ii. JACOB GASKILL, b. Abt. 1776; d. 1820, Hyde County, Nc.
24. iii. THOMAS GASKILL, b. Abt. 1778; d. 1844.

9. THOMAS3 GASKILL (WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born Abt. 1752. He married UNKNOWN Abt. 1775.

Notes for THOMAS GASKILL:
[JACOB GASKILL.GED]

THOMAS GASKILL b. ca 1751 d. ca. 1828 and married his lst wife (name unknown) about 1772. It is estimated by the census that they had about twelve children.

Children of THOMAS GASKILL and UNKNOWN are:
25. i. ROBERT4 GASKILL, b. Abt. 1776.
ii. JOHN GASKILL, b. Abt. 1778.
iii. NANCY GASKILL, b. Abt. 1780; m. JOHN GASKINS, JR., November 18, 1799.

Notes for JOHN GASKINS, JR.:
[JACOB GASKILL.GED]

Have not researched this line. Census show that they had 4 daughters and 2 sons.
Sons thought to be William, & Zora B. of Hatteras

iv. ESTHER GASKILL, b. Abt. 1783; m. JOHN O'NEAL, February 6, 1811.
26. v. MARIAN GASKILL, b. Abt. 1785.

10. JOSEPH3 GASKILL (WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born Abt. 1754, and died 1826. He married MARY SALTER Abt. 1775, daughter of WILLIAM SALTER and EVA SMITH. She was born Abt. 1758.

Notes for JOSEPH GASKILL:
Joseph Gaskill wrote his will on Jan. 19, 1824 and it was proved in Sept 1826.

"I Joseph Gaskill, of Hog Island, being in good health and sound mind .... I give my house and plantation during her lifetime to my dear wife Mary Gaskill, and at her decease the same to go to my grandson John S. gaskill, son of Thomas Gaskill, dec'd and 100 acres of piney land on Cedar Island. The rest of my property to be sold at the death of my wife and the money raised to be used for the support of the three children of my son Thomas, dec'd. Sons William and Lowery to be executors."
witness;
M.A. Mayo
Marcus Mayo
Thomas P. Mayo[JACOB GASKILL.GED]

. They lived at Cedar Island, Carteret Co. NC. Joseph's will proved in 1824 names wife MARY and children, also names grandson JOHN, son of his decd. son THOMAS, heirs of daughter CHRISTAIN NELSON decd., heirs of son FERNTFOLD decd., grandson BENNETT.

Children of JOSEPH GASKILL and MARY SALTER are:
27. i. FURNAFOLD4 GASKILL, b. Abt. 1795.
ii. LOWRY GASKILL.
iii. WILLIAM GASKILL.

More About WILLIAM GASKILL:
Residence: 1826, Hog Island, NC

28. iv. THOMAS GASKILL, b. 1800; d. Bef. 1824.
v. NOAH GASKILL, b. Abt. 1779.
vi. ESTHER LINTON GASKILL, b. Abt. 1781.
vii. CHRISTAIN GASKILL, b. Abt. 1783.
viii. ANNA GASKILL, b. Abt. 1785.
ix. BENJAMIN GASKILL, b. Abt. 1789.
x. JOSEPH GASKILL, b. Abt. 1791.
xi. BETSY EMORY GASKILL, b. Abt. 1793.

Generation No. 4

11. NANCY4 GASKILL (JOHN3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born 1774 in Carteret, N.C., and died in Carteret, N.C.. She married THOMAS DAVIS February 17, 1794 in Carteret, N, C., son of JOSEPH DAVIS and SARAH GASKILL. He was born 1767 in Carteret, N.C., and died 1826 in Carteret, N.C..

More About NANCY GASKILL:

More About THOMAS DAVIS:

Children of NANCY GASKILL and THOMAS DAVIS are:
i. DAVID WILLIAM5 DAVIS, b. 1802, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C.; m. SABRA DAVIS, 1828, Carteret, N.C.; b. 1810, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C.;.

More About DAVID WILLIAM DAVIS:

More About SABRA DAVIS:

ii. WILSON DAVIS, b. Abt. 1804, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C.; m. (1) SUSAN PINKHAM, April 20, 1820, Carteret, N.C.; b. 1805, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C.;; m. (2) BASHEBA HOWLAND, 1827, Carteret, N.C.; b. 1806, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C.;.
iii. ELIJAH W. DAVIS, SR, b. 1804, Carteret, N.C.; d. 1870, Carteret, N.C.; m. ELIZABETH STEWART, January 3, 1844, Carteret, N.C.; b. 1824, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C.;.
iv. MARIUM DAVIS, b. Abt. 1806, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C.; m. ISAIAH DAVIS, 1823, Carteret, N.C.; b. 1802, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C.;.

More About MARIUM DAVIS:

v. VALENTINE DAVIS, b. 1810, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C..
vi. BENJAMIN DAVIS, b. Abt. 1814, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C.; m. ELITIA R. BELL, March 15, 1843, Carteret, N.C.; b. 1823, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C.;.
vii. THOMAS DAVIS, JR, b. Abt. 1814, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C..
viii. WILLIAM H. DAVIS, b. Abt. 1818, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C.; m. SARAH A. WILLIS, June 13, 1840, Carteret, N.C.; b. 1822, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C.;.
ix. MARY DAVIS, b. Abt. 1821, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C.; m. MARTIN T. MURPHY, September 20, 1837, Carteret, N.C.; b. 1811, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C.;.

12. ESTHER4 GASKILL (JOHN3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born Abt. 1776.

Notes for ESTHER GASKILL:
Thanks to Mrs. Thelma Pittman I think I have finally got Charlotte Gaskill linked to the correct parent. Mrs. Pittman is the gg granddaughter of Wallace Davis and Charlotte Gaskill Davis. Esther Gaskill's will dated Aug. 20, 1843 confirmes that she had a daughter named Charlotte.

Child of ESTHER GASKILL is:
i. CHARLOTTE5 GASKILL, b. Abt. 1808; d. Carteret, N.C.; m. WALLACE W. DAVIS, January 5, 1824, Carteret, N.C.; b. 1799, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C.;.

13. JAMES4 GASKILL (JOHN3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born 1777 in Carteret, N.C., and died 1836 in Carteret, N.C.. He married SABRA.

Notes for JAMES GASKILL:
BENJAMINE GASKILL b.ca 1750 d. 1787 son of William Gaskill and Ann Jarrett. m. JANE WILLIAMS OF Ocracoke Island, North Carolina, daughter of JOHN WILLIAMS and wife ELIZABETH. Benjamine died a young man, when his children were but infants. His wife Jane died in 1801. JOHN MAYO of Portsmouth Island was appointed guardian to their son JACOB GASKILL, and Benjamine's nephew, JAMES GASKILL, son of JOHN GASKILL, was appointed guardian of their little daughter HANNAH GASKILL. (Guardian papers State Archives, Raleigh, NC)

CARTERET COUNTY COURT RECORDS
MAY 1808 - WILLIAM GILGO (Orphan) bound to JAMES GASKILL

JAMES GASKILL b. ca 1767\70 d. before Oct. 1837 James was appointed guardian of HANNAH, daughter of his deceased UNCLE BENJAMIN GASKILL, decd. He lived at Portsmouth Island, was "in charge of one of the state's revenue cutters stationed at Ocracoke Inlet" in 1834. "He had a very large family, but didn't hesitate to take in orphan children that needed a home. Not only did he take in Hannah Gaskill in 1801, but in 1808 took in William Gilgo. In the 1810 census he was listed as having seven children under the age of 16. In 1820 he had nine children and in 1830 he was listed as being between the ages of 50 and 60, his new wife was between the age of 30 and 40, also in the home were 5 people between the ages of 20 and 30, 1 -15 to 20, and 1 -10 to 15.

In 1823 JAMES GASKILL sold his house and land, which was the land of his father JOHN GASKILL on Sheep Island (South Portsmouth) to WILLIAM GILGO. JAMES was listed as living in the following places; 1800-Core Banks, 1810Portsmouth, 1820 and 1830 in Straits (Carteret Co.)
JAMES GASKILL was indebted to many people of which some were; JOHN PIKE, of OCRACOKE, BENJAMINE SECONAFS of BEAUFORT, DANIEL W. GASKILL, ISAAC RAMSEY, DR. JAMES W. HUNT, ISRIEL SHELDON, SOLOMON ROBERTS, THOMAS DUDLEY, JOHN FORLAW and PLEASANT GASKILL. He was so concerned about these debts that he appointed JACOB GASKILL Power of Attorney, and signed everything over to him, to protect these creditors when CALEB S. SPENCER and BANNISTER MIDGETT of Chickomomicko filed a bill of equity against him in Hyde Co. Superior Court in Feb. 1834, "for no other cause than to extort from him large and unjust sums of money."
The document states that JAMES is infirmed by his advanced age, poverty renders him unable to pay attorneys, entirely ignorant about law suits and the quibble attending them, has a large and expensive family depending on a scanty support.
He is in charge of one of the eight United States Boats stationed in Pamtico Sound where his presents is always required. He wanted JACOB, after a given date to sell at Auction to pay the above named honest creditors who had been indulgent to him.
At the time these statements were made JAMES GASKILL owned the following; Fifty acres of marsh and forty acres of swamp near Piney Point (Stacy, NC), in Core Sound on Oyster Creek, Fifty acres on Shackleford Banks known as Bells Island, and the following negroes; man ARRON age 30, woman MARGARET and her girl MARY, girl DORCUS age 14, man ISAAC age 40.

***SEE DORCUS GASKILL AND ISAAC GASKILL FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THESE*****

James Gaskill making sure that his idiot son Thomas Gaskill was cared for, appointed son Elijah W. Gaskill his guardian and deeded his property over for his support. This may have taken place around the time of his second marriage.

Carteret Co. Deed BK - W - pg 24

This indenture made this 19th day of September 1832, between James Gaskill and Elijah Gaskill both of the county of Carteret, state of North Carolina. That the said James Gaskill for and in consideration of one dollar to him in hand paid…. And in further consideration of natural love and affection for Thomas Gaskill, son of sd James and a lunatic, have bargained, sold, conveyed to Elijah Gaskill after the death of sd James Gaskill, all that land or plantation where the sd James Gaskill now lives situated …..
Conveyed to James Gaskill by his father John Gaskill…. And the lands purchased by him from Anson Gaskill and Sylvester Gibbs. Also all the interest of sd James Gaskill in the FISHERY and land therewith connected at Lenexville owned by sd James as tenants in common with Anson Gaskill and Henry W. Cook, subject to the life estate of James Gaskill. Providing always and foregoing conditions, The said Elijah Gaskill has been appointed guardian to Thomas Gaskill a lunatic and the sd James Gaskill anxious to provide for sd lunatic as by nature he is called upon to do. Now if the sd Elijah acting as guardian after the death of James, shall enter in possession and hold in trust for the benefit of sd lunatic and apply the interest from said land and fishery to Thomas during his natural life….that at the death of Thomas, Elijah shall divide the estate among the heirs of James Gaskill…. Signed James Gaskill, Elijah Gaskill

Registered Nov. 28, 1832.

James Gaskill died in 1836 and Elijah Gaskill was appointed Administrator. James' widow, Harriett petitioned court for years support 1837 through 1843, naming minor children Anson and Charlotte. Part of the land and dwelling house was laid off for her dower.

Thomas Gaskill may have died before 1850 since he isn't listed in the census. James' minor children Anson and Charlotte had come of age by 1853 when Elijah W. Gaskill had the land divided.

The following deed is recorded in the Register of Deeds office. The Xerox copy in my possession does not show the Book at the top of page, just the page 345. I will check for book letter on my next visit to court house.

Page 345

This indenture made on the 4th day of April, one thousand, eight hundred, and fifty three between ELIJAH W. GASKILL, Pleasant H. Gaskill, John A. Gaskill, Anson W. Gaskill and Charlotte Gaskill, all of Carteret County, state of North Carolina of the five parts, witnesseth that whereas James Gaskill deceased, late of Carteret Co. state aforesaid in the year 1836 departed this life intestate, and died seized and possessed of an estate in land consisting of the following tracts. viz;

One tract on the Straits adjoining the lands of the heirs of Richard Whitehurst and others known by the name of Gibbs Swamp, and one other tract joining the said Gibbs Swamp, and a tract of land owned by the heirs of Elijah Pigott deceased, known as the Pinkham Tract containing in all three hundred and twenty acres.

And whereas the said Elijah W. Gaskill, Pleasant H. Gaskill, John A. Gaskill, Anson W. Gaskill and Charlotte Gaskill, are children and heirs at law of the said James Gaskill deceased, to whom the lands aforesaid have descended and come by his death as tenants in common, each hereby holding an equal and undivided interest in the same. We have promised and agreed to make partition…….. (division listed).

Brought before the Court of Pleas and Quarters, May 18, AD 1854

Registered May 25, 1854, page 345 - 345 (Book not shown on page)

Children of JAMES GASKILL and SABRA are:
i. THOMAS5 GASKILL, b. Abt. 1796.
ii. VALENTINE W. GASKILL, b. Abt. 1798.
iii. PLEASENT H. GASKILL, b. Abt. 1800; d. 1862.

Notes for PLEASENT H. GASKILL:
Pleasant wrote her will in May 1856, leaving everything to brother Valentine Gaskill, and appointed David W. Whitehurst, executor. Witness were David H. Brooks and D.W. Whitehurst. The will was proved Feb. 1860.

iv. JOHN A. GASKILL, b. Abt. 1802; d. 1854.

Notes for JOHN A. GASKILL:
I don't think that John A. Gaskill ever married or had a family .In his will dated Feb. 5, 1852, proved 1854, he mentions only his brothers and nephew.

"I John A. Gaskill....being possessed of a negro man named Aaron, and being desirous of making sure that he is rewarded for his years of faithful service, he is not to be subject to sale of any kind but I hereby give him, with love and affection to James W. Gaskill for the use and benifit of my brothers, E.W. Gaskill, V.W. Gaskill, P.H. Gaskill, and James W. Gaskill. My watch to my nephew John Gaskill. James W. Gaskill to be executor."
Witness; Alexander Mason
John F. Jones

He does not mention any land, house or plantation.

v. JAMES W. GASKILL, b. Abt. 1804.
vi. ANN GASKILL, b. Abt. 1806.
vii. ELIJAH W. GASKILL, b. Abt. 1809; m. HOLLAND ROBERTS, February 15, 1836, Carteret County, NC; b. 1809.
viii. CHARLOTTE GASKILL.

14. VALENTINE4 GASKILL (JOHN3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born Abt. 1770.

Child of VALENTINE GASKILL is:
i. JANE VALENTINE5 GASKILL, b. August 29, 1802, Portsmouth Island, NC; d. Ala.; m. JOHN EASTON WALLACE, December 10, 1818, Carteret County, NC; b. March 12, 1795, Portsmouth Island, NC; d. 1871, Baldwin Co. Ala..

15. ANSON4 GASKILL (JOHN3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born Abt. 1785, and died 1850. He married ROSEMOND DAVIS May 30, 1810 in Carteret, N.C., daughter of ISAIAH DAVIS and SABRA CHADWICK. She was born 1775 in Carteret, N.C., and died in Carteret, N.C..

Notes for ANSON GASKILL:

Anson's will gives names of his daughters and son-in-laws;

ANSON C. GASKILL March 1, 1848 Proved Aug. Court 1850
In the name of God Amen, I Anson C. Gasklll of Carteret County, In sound and disposing mind . . I give to my beloved wife Rosamond, during her natural life or widowhood, all of my estate, both real and personal. After the death of my wife, I give to the children of my daughter Caroline late wife of Robert Wallace, one third of my estate. I give to my daughter Maria, wife of Valentine Roberson, during her natural life, one third of all my estate, and at her death to her children, and not to be subject to any debts of Valentine Roberson. To my daughter Harriet, the wife of Joseph Wallace, during her life, the remaining third part of all my estate, under the same conditions. Three sons in law executors.
Anson C. Gaskill (seal)

Witnessed:
John D. Mayo
John Osgood

Notes for ROSEMOND DAVIS:
Mrs. Thelma Pittman of Davis, NC provided the following document showing that Rosemond was the daughter of Isiah Davis. Since her marriage records state that she was at the time of her marriage a Willis, it looks like she was married before, but no record has been found. The fact that she is ten years older than Anson also suggest she was previously married.

RECORD OF DEEDS Y, Page 40
DEED
State of North Carolina )
County of Carteret ) This Indenture made this twenty fourth day of October A. D.1837 between Anson Gaskill and Rosemond Gaskill his wife Anthony Davis & Martin R. Davis of the one part and Samuel C. Davis of the other part Witnesseth that the said Anthony Davis, Martin R. Davis Anson Gaskill and Rosemond Gaskill his wife for and in consideration of the sum of One hundred Dollars to us in hand paid by Samuel C. Davis the receipt whereof we do hereby acknowledge ourselves therewith fully satisfied, contented & paid have given, granted, bargained sold (????????) and confirmed and by these presents doth give, grant, bargain. sell, convey and confirmed to the said Samuel C. Davis his heirs and assigns forever all our right, title, interest, claim & demand in and to a certain piece or parcel of land situate lying and being in the State & County aforesaid in the west side of Jarrots Bay & known as the land whereon Isaiah Davis, Sen resided containing two hundred and forty acres be the same more or less. To have and to hold the aforesaid land and premises with all and singular the privileges and appurtenances thereunto belonging or in any wise appertaining to the only use and comfort of him his heirs,executors administrators and assigns for ever binding ourselves, our heirs, executors & administrators to warrant and defend the above bargained land and premises to him his heirs and assigns against the lawful claim of all other persons whatever. Given under our hands & seals this the day of date above written.
Anthony Davis (Seal)
Anson Gaskill (Seal)
Rosemond Gaskill (Seal)
Martin R. Davis (Seal)
Signed, sealed & delivered
in presence of
W. D. Styron
Ambrose Jones

Carteret County ) Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions
September Term 1839
I certify that the execution of the foregoing deed was then proved in open Court by the Oath of Wallace D. Styron the subscribing witness thereto and on motion ordered that Samuel Leffers, Wallace D. Styron, John Mayo and Silvestor Brown be appointed Commissioners to take the private examination of Rosemond Gaskill wife of Anson Gaskill concerning her free consent in executing the foregoing deed with her said husband to Samuel C. Davis and make return to next Court.
G. Rumley C.C.
Carteret County )

Cart Co. Court Records March 1840
Wallace D. Styron & Samuel Leffers appointed Sept. 1839 to examine Rosemond Gaskill, wife of Anson Gaskill to her concent to sell property.

More About ANSON GASKILL and ROSEMOND DAVIS:
Marriage 2: May 30, 1810
Marriage 3: May 30, 1810, Portsmouth, NC

Children of ANSON GASKILL and ROSEMOND DAVIS are:
i. CAROLINE5 GASKILL, b. Abt. 1811; d. 1846; m. ROBERT WALLACE, August 10, 1832, Carteret County, NC; b. October 21, 1810; d. 1880.

Notes for ROBERT WALLACE:
Named in Anson Gaskill's will dated March 1, 1848

Robert lived at Portsmouth until he moved to Morehead in 1876. He was a pilot at Ocracoke Inlet before the war between the states and was called Captain.

Carteret County Deed Bk __ pg 264, 1882.
Robert's wife Sarah and his children John O., Mahetable, Florence, Susan D., George W. Herdon, and Charles S. sell the Robert Wallace property. Anson G. and Samuel Whitehurst are not listed even though they are still living, wonder why.? They may have already disposed of their part or didn't want to sell their part. I will check this out.

ii. MARIA GASKILL, b. Abt. 1814; m. VALENTINE ROBERSON (ROBINSON).
iii. HARRIETT GASKILL, b. Abt. 1816; m. JOSEPHUS WALLACE, February 2, 1836, Carteret County, NC; b. August 1, 1812.

Notes for JOSEPHUS WALLACE:
Named in Anson Gaskill's will dated Mar. 1, 1848

16. REBECCA4 GASKILL (JOHN3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born Abt. 1785 in Carteret, N.C., and died in Carteret, N.C.. She married ANTHONY DAVIS June 19, 1805 in Carteret, N.C., son of ISAIAH DAVIS and SABRA CHADWICK. He was born 1779 in Carteret, N.C., and died 1858 in Carteret, N.C..

More About REBECCA GASKILL:

More About ANTHONY DAVIS:

Children of REBECCA GASKILL and ANTHONY DAVIS are:
i. CORDELIA5 DAVIS, b. 1808, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C.; m. WILLIAM MITCHELL WILLIS, 1825, Carteret, N.C.; b. 1805, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C.;.
ii. ISSAC W. DAVIS, b. 1810, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C.; m. KIZIAH DAVIS, 1834, Carteret, N.C.; b. 1815, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C.;.
iii. JAMES G. DAVIS, b. 1817, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C.; m. SABRA STYRON, 1843, Carteret, N.C.; b. 1829, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C.;.
iv. EDWARD G. DAVIS, b. 1818, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C..
v. DAUGHTER DAVIS, b. 1819, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C.; m. MR. LINQUISH, 1807, Carteret, N.C.; b. 1817, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C.;.

17. PHEBE4 GASKILL (JOHN3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) died Bef. 1835. She married CAPT. SAMUEL FULFORD Bef. 1821 in Carteret County, NC.

Notes for CAPT. SAMUEL FULFORD:

Samuel married a 2nd time to Elizabeth Gaskill, daughter of Jacob Gaskill.
The wedding of Capt. Samuel Fulford and elizabeth Gaskill was published in the Raleigh Register Sept. 15, 1835. They were married at the Pamptico (Pamlico) Lighthouse on aug 24.

Samuel was the Lightkeeper of that light at the time.

Child of PHEBE GASKILL and SAMUEL FULFORD is:
i. RODNEY5 FULFORD.

18. JACOB4 GASKILL (BENJAMIN3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born March 3, 1785 in Ocracoke, NC, and died September 4, 1862 in Ocracoke, NC. He married (1) ANN SCARBOROUGH November 10, 1807, daughter of WILLIAM SCARBOROUGH and ELIZABETH. She was born Abt. 1787, and died October 1, 1832 in Ocracoke, NC. He married (2) CHLOE DANIELS May 22, 1845. She was born 1804 in Wanchese, NC, and died Bef. 1880 in Ocracoke, NC.

Notes for JACOB GASKILL:

Jacob Gaskill was convicted of murdering Willis Williams, who was a 2nd cousin.

The same year that their ninth child was born, JACOB was appointed guardian to ELIZABETH, ANN, and MARY ANN SCARBOROUGH orphans of ANN'S brother GEORGE SCARBOROUGH and wife POLLY O'NEAL.

ANN died on I Oct. 1832 leaving JACOB with ten children of their own and three foster children. The events that were to take place within the next few years are still unsolved today.
On 22 May 1845 JACOB married CHLOE DANIELS of Wanchese, N.C. They had one daughter;

JACOB GASKILL, ESQ. was a Justice of Peace at Ocracoke. In 1822 he sold to the U.S. Government for $50 the land where the present lighthouse sits.
In his will dated 4th. Feb. 1860 he leaves;
To wife, CHLOE GASKILL, house and houses and land for life, a negro woman, HANNAH, a negro man, AUGUST, also my interest in a schooner named RIVAL. Also one negro woman named MANDY. Two beds and necessary furniture. My canoe, nets, and flat, to use and dispose of at her own will.
To son, DAVID GASKILL, at the death of my wife CHLOE all the inclosed lands where I now live with all the improvements.

To dau. MARY FRANCES GASKILL at the death of my wife CHLOE, my negro woman MANDY, and her increase. If said MANDY shall have three children, then my son DAVID, to have the 3rd. Also to dau. Mary Frances, 1 bed and furniture.

On March Ist, 1837 JACOB GASKILL took his musket gun, loaded with gun powder and twenty lead shot from it's wall rack, and leaving his small children at home, set out to find JOHN WILLIS WILLIAMS, with intent to kill. Upon finding him he held the musket with both hands and fired a shot striking Williams in the neck, killing him instantly.

This was a long trial and was transferred from Carteret Co. to Hyde Co. in order for Jacob to receive a fair trial. He was convicted of murder but was freed after new evidence was produced in court. I have all of the court records that give details of the shooting but it is too much to print here.

Children of JACOB GASKILL and ANN SCARBOROUGH are:
i. WILLIAM G.5 GASKILL, b. November 25, 1810; m. SARAH A..

Notes for WILLIAM G. GASKILL:
[JACOB GASKILL.GED]

William emlisted in Civil War May 1, 1862, Hyde Co. Company B 17th Reg.

His will Hyde Co. BK 11 pg 39-40 names children.

ii. JANE GASKILL, b. December 14, 1812.
iii. MARY GASKILL, b. September 12, 1815.
iv. ELIZABETH L. GASKILL, b. February 1, 1818; m. CAPT. SAMUEL FULFORD, August 24, 1833, Pamlico Lighthouse, Pamlico Sound, NC.

Notes for CAPT. SAMUEL FULFORD:
The wedding of Capt. Samuel Fulford and elizabeth Gaskill was published in the Raleigh Register Sept. 15, 1835. They were married at the Pamptico (Pamlico) Lighthouse on aug 24.

Samuel was the Lightkeeper of that light at the time.

v. MALSEY GASKILL, b. April 10, 1820.
vi. ESTHER GASKILL, b. November 15, 1825.
vii. WALLIS GASKILL, b. November 6, 1826.
viii. DAVID GASKILL, b. May 22, 1831; d. Washington, NC; m. MARTHA M. SATTERLHWAITE, December 18, 1860, Washington, NC.
ix. BENJAMIN GASKILL, b. January 28, 1809; d. Bef. 1843, Ocracoke ,NC; m. ELIZABETH WILLIAMS, October 2, 1828, Ocracoke, NC; b. Abt. 1800, Ocracoke ,NC.

Child of JACOB GASKILL and CHLOE DANIELS is:
x. MARY FRANCES5 GASKILL, b. September 29, 1846; d. August 6, 1920; m. GEORGE GREGORY HOWARD.

19. WILLIAM4 DAVIS (SARAH3 GASKILL, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born 1765 in Carteret, N.C., and died 1836 in Carteret, N.C.. He married ABIGAIL DAVIS 1792 in Carteret, N.C.. She was born Abt. 1770 in Carteret, N.C., and died 1823 in Carteret, N.C..

Children of WILLIAM DAVIS and ABIGAIL DAVIS are:
i. GENNY5 DAVIS, b. 1807, Carteret, N.C.; d. 1848, Carteret, N.C.; m. DAVID GASKILL, 1827, Carteret, N.C.; b. 1805, Carteret, N.C.; d. 1845, Carteret, N.C..
ii. JOHN W. DAVIS, b. 1808, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C..
iii. RODNEY DAVIS, b. 1810, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C..
iv. SALLY DAVIS, b. 1811, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C.; m. ISAAC LEWIS, 1829, Carteret, N.C.; b. 1809, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C.;.
v. JORDAN DAVIS, b. 1812, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C..
vi. JOSEPH DAVIS, b. 1813, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C..
vii. THOMAS DAVIS, b. 1814, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C.; m. JANE ROBERTSON, 1829, Carteret, N.C.; b. 1816, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C.;.
viii. NANCY DAVIS, b. 1815, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C.; m. JOSEPH FULCHER, 1859, Carteret, N.C.; b. 1839, Carteret, N.C.; d. Carteret, N.C.;.

20. THOMAS4 DAVIS (SARAH3 GASKILL, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born 1767 in Carteret, N.C., and died 1826 in Carteret, N.C.. He married NANCY GASKILL February 17, 1794 in Carteret, N, C., daughter of JOHN GASKILL and MARIAM. She was born 1774 in Carteret, N.C., and died in Carteret, N.C..

More About THOMAS DAVIS:

More About NANCY GASKILL:

Children are listed above under (11) Nancy Gaskill.

21. FRANCES4 DAVIS (SARAH3 GASKILL, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born 1766 in Davis, Carteret, N.C., and died 1820. She married GEORGE STYRON. He was born Abt. 1756 in Hunting Quarters, Carteret Co. NC, and died 1800 in Davis, Carteret, N.C..

Children of FRANCES DAVIS and GEORGE STYRON are:
i. EUPANSEY5 STYRON, b. Abt. 1785; m. JAMES SALTER, Bef. 1813; b. Abt. 1760.
ii. WASHINGTON STYRON, b. Abt. 1787.
iii. MARY STYRON, b. Abt. 1789.
iv. JOSEA STYRON, b. Abt. 1791.
v. KILBY STYRON, b. 1793, Carteret, N.C.; d. 1871, Carteret, N.C.; m. KESIAH DAVIS, December 5, 1817, Carteret, N.C.; b. 1798, Carteret, N.C.; d. Abt. 1868, Carteret, N.C..

More About KESIAH DAVIS:

More About KILBY STYRON and KESIAH DAVIS:
Marriage 2: December 5, 1817, Carteret County, NC

vi. WALLACE D. STYRON, b. 1795; d. December 20, 1851, Carteret County, NC; m. MARY CHADWICK, December 14, 1822, Carteret County, NC; b. 1803, Carteret, N.C.; d. 1871, Carteret, N.C..

Notes for WALLACE D. STYRON:
Estate papers of Wallace dated 1852, states that he died on 12-20-1851. Names widow Mary and children Oliver, L.H. & Frances. (Carteret Co.)

More About WALLACE STYRON and MARY CHADWICK:
Marriage 2: December 11, 1822, Carteret, N.C.

vii. GEORGE STYRON, JR., b. 1800; d. Bef. 1860, Davis, Carteret, N.C.; m. MATILDA LEWIS, December 31, 1828, Carteret County, NC; b. Abt. 1810.

22. ANTHONY4 GASKILL (JACOB3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born Abt. 1774, and died Bef. November 1829. He married NANCY WALLACE April 13, 1813, daughter of ROBERT WALLACE and HANNAH WALLACE. She was born Abt. 1790.

Notes for NANCY WALLACE:
Nancy was listed as single and of age when her father's estate was settled in Aug. 1812. On 4-13-1813 she married Anthony Gaskill.

Children of ANTHONY GASKILL and NANCY WALLACE are:
i. LUCENDA5 GASKILL, b. Abt. 1797.
ii. HANNAH GASKILL, b. Abt. 1799.

23. JACOB4 GASKILL (JACOB3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born Abt. 1776, and died 1820 in Hyde County, Nc. He married PRUDENCE.

JACOB GASKILL b. d. 1820 son of Jacob Gaskill and Christanna, m. PRUDENCE - ? - JACOB'S will dated Oct. 1820, proved Nov. 1820, Hyde Co. BK 4, pg. 138\39 names children, wife and slaves. Slave boy NORAGE, girl SARAH, girl BEAL, slaves DANIEL, BEAL & THIAL to be set free at death of wife. Also names brother THOMAS. The family lived at Wysocking, Hyde County, NC.

Children of JACOB GASKILL and PRUDENCE are:
i. BENJAMIN5 GASKILL.
ii. WILLIAM GASKILL, b. Abt. 1799.
iii. RICHARD GASKILL, b. Abt. 1801.
iv. ANTHONY GASKILL.
v. ELIZABETH GASKILL, m. RICHARD MIDGETT.

24. THOMAS4 GASKILL (JACOB3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born Abt. 1778, and died 1844. He married PRUDENCE.

[JACOB GASKILL.GED]

THOMAS GASKILL b. d. 1844 Beaufort, son of Jacob Gaskill and Christanna, m PRUDENCE (this may or may not be the widow of his brother JACOB.)

Children of THOMAS GASKILL and PRUDENCE are:
i. MARY5 GASKILL, b. Abt. 1800.
ii. ELIZA GASKILL, b. Abt. 1802.

25. ROBERT4 GASKILL (THOMAS3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born Abt. 1776. He married DOROTHY Abt. 1803. She was born Abt. 1780.

Notes for ROBERT GASKILL:
[JACOB GASKILL.GED]

Tenent of John Williams in 1806, payed rent by giving 1/2 of the increase of all his she critters for 10 years. (B-P- pg 228, Cart. Co.

More About ROBERT GASKILL:
Residence: Ocracoke, NC

Children of ROBERT GASKILL and DOROTHY are:
i. MATILDA5 GASKILL, b. Abt. 1804.
ii. ANNIE GASKILL, b. Abt. 1810.
iii. JOHN WASHINGTON GASKILL, b. Abt. 1812; d. Bef. 1870; m. HANNAH O'NEAL.
iv. THOMAS GASKILL, b. Abt. 1813; d. Ocracoke, NC; m. (1) 1ST WIFE UNKNOWN; m. (2) NANCY JONES.
v. WILLIAM WISE GASKILL, b. 1815; m. ANNIE GARRISH, Abt. 1834; b. 1817.
vi. ROBERT GASKILL, b. Abt. 1816, Ocracoke, NC; m. (1) ZELPHIA, Abt. 1840; m. (2) NANCY O'NEAL, October 2, 1853; b. May 11, 1833, Ocracoke, NC; d. November 23, 1905, Ocracoke, NC.

26. MARIAN4 GASKILL (THOMAS3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born Abt. 1785. She married CHRISTOPHER O'NEAL May 20, 1805.

Children of MARIAN GASKILL and CHRISTOPHER O'NEAL are:
i. NANCY5 O'NEAL.
ii. DEANNA O'NEAL.
iii. SALLY O'NEAL.
iv. MARIAN O'NEAL.
v. FRANCIS O'NEAL.
vi. BENJAMIN O'NEAL.

28. THOMAS4 GASKILL (JOSEPH3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born 1800, and died Bef. 1824. He married SARAH EMORY, daughter of SHADRACK EMORY and LUCRESHA DANIELS. She died Bef. 1838.

On 16 Sept. 1815 Joseph married SALLY EMERY. They lived in the area of Cedar Island and Hog Island in Carteret County. On 3 April 1818 Thomas claimed 125 acres of land on the Eastern most part of Ocracoke Inlet, from William's line to the sea. I found names of only five children;

Thomas was named in his father's will and was deceased at the time the will was written. Thomas' brother William was appointed guardian of Thomas' children after his father died.( Cart Co. Court Records)

Deed Bk X - pg 436 10th Aug. 1838

I, John S. Gaskill of Hog Island, heirs at law and with Nancy Gaskill and Joseph Gaskill, all three of us children of Sarah Gaskill, wife of Thomas Gaskill of Hog Island, both deceased, for the sum of ten dollars to me in hand paid by Martin Harris of Berry's Bay.....my one third part of 50 acres of land and one third part of 17 acres of marsh on the west side of Cedar Island, which was left by will of my deceased grandfather Shadrack Emery to my mother Sarah Gaskill, wife of Thomas Gaskill, and daughter of said Shadrack Emery.

witness
Jn Mayo
Elijah S. Gaskill

Children of THOMAS GASKILL and SARAH EMORY are:
i. JOHN S.5 GASKILL, b. Abt. 1820.
ii. NANCY GASKILL, b. Abt. 1822.
iii. JOSEPH GASKILL, b. Abt. 1823.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ellenmfcloud 15 Sep 2004 9:16PM GMT 
don leamy 15 Sep 2004 9:42PM GMT 
ellenmfcloud 26 Sep 2004 2:02AM GMT 
ThreeGuards 3 Oct 2004 10:47PM GMT