Search for content in message boards

Baynes,Lee/Lea

Replies: 16

Re: Nancy Tapscott, blind/ and family

Posted: 28 May 2013 4:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lea/Lee/Tapscott/Baynes
I believe I can shed more light on the Tapscott/Baynes connection. In searching records of my ancestor George Lea(Lee) and his mother, Mary Lea(Lee) of Haywood I found court transcriptions of a competency hearing of Nancy Tapscott, who was 66 and blind. Miss Tapscotts brothers had died and from what I could gather one of her nephews was trying to take her "property", 8 slaves. Dr George Lee testified she was not competent, however Mary Lee (his mother) testified she was. Both Lees verify having lived many years as a neighbor of Miss Tapscott in Caswell Co, NC before becoming neighbors again in Haywood, TN. Mary Lee verifies that the Mr Baynes whom Miss Tapscott lives with and had chosen to handle her business was her (Mary Lee's) son-in-law, therefore, his wife, Sarah, must be her daughter.
I have the document and my transcription linked to Mary and George in my tree. The file is under "George Lee" in Haywood Cty rather than Nancy Tapscott.
Previously I did not know Mary Lea's spouses name and am interesting in any source documents indicating she was the Mary "Polly" Swift who married John Lea. Some notes indicate this Mary died and was buried in Caswell Co, NC but my Mary Lea is buried in Concord Cemetery, Gates, TN along with her sons Thomas Fletcher and Dr. George Washington Lee. Considering the Tapscott connection I feel certain this is the same Mary.
Rose Dawkins
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
John Fox 30 Oct 2006 2:52PM GMT 
Rick Frederick 30 Oct 2006 3:47PM GMT 
John Fox 31 Oct 2006 3:03AM GMT 
Shelly Langley 31 Oct 2006 9:03PM GMT 
Shelly Langley 31 Oct 2006 8:38PM GMT 
Shelly Langley 31 Oct 2006 8:32PM GMT 
RoseDawkins14... 28 May 2013 10:25PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic