Baynes,Lee/Lea

Replies: 16

Nancy Tapscott, blind/ and family

John Fox (View posts)
Posted: 30 Oct 2006 7:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Baynes, Tate, Lea, Tapscott, Windsor
Hello again Shelly,

I can only assume that John Baynes and Sarah Tate Lea were compasionate people who could find a place for a handicapped person as Nancy Tapscott into their family. It is also quite possible that Nancy could manage to contribute something to the family as well. Being blind would not necessarily make her an impractical person to have around. There may have been many tasks which she was trained or trained herself to do which would place her on the asset side of the ledger, such as preparing vegetables for cooking, sewing, knitting, weaving, etc.

And, Nancy did have at least two slaves who could have contributed work for her and the family with whom she lived. It appeared from her father's will that she was left a black animal of some kind, perhaps a horse, and she had some household goods which she could also contribute. One could say that she was able to "pay her way".

Sarah Tate Lea's aunt was my ancestress, Frances Tate Swift Tapscott, who was married to John Windsor Tapscott, who was blind Nancy Tapscott's uncle. Although not related by blood, she was a person with whom both families would have known over a long period of their lives.

Perhaps this will explain to some degree why she became part of the Baynes family.

BTW, I grew up near a community, often referred to as the Baynes Store Community, mainly because of a large country store was located there, and I supposed owned by some member of the family. My family used to shop there on occasion back in the late 1940's early 1950's, as the store catered to the general farming community and their needs. For a little fellow, it appeared huge, and seem to contain all kinds of things to excite the imagination of children and adults alike. There were two long counters on either side of the store and many shelves behind each counter filled with dry food items, shoes and snuff and other tobacco products. The center was filled with barrels or hogsheads filled with all kinds of things, much of which was dried beans, peas, potatoes and the like, as well as cloth sacks of animal feed and flour. From some of the supporting posts located at intervals along the main floor to support the ceiling and the storage loft overhead, were hanging items like leather harness, and many things which I cannot recall. I do remember that some of the flour and feed sacks were made of usable cotton patterns, which could be made into shirts, dresses and such. A real bonus in those days. And yes, I can remember several of my school shirts were made from such! My mother was a wonderful seamstress, and only our family knew the source, that is unless you happened to meet up with another person wearing something of the same pattern!

I do remember that when you shopped, items would be taken down from the floor to ceiling shelves behind the counters, and placed on the counter for the final talley. At that time, there was a cash register, a vintage one, no doubt, which was used to add up the merchandise. My mother and father said that in earlier days, the proprietor would add up the figures on one of the paper bags which was used to pack up your supplies. I am glad that I have those memories.

Best regards,

John Fox
Winston Salem, NC
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
John Fox 30 Oct 2006 2:52PM GMT 
Rick Frederick 30 Oct 2006 3:47PM GMT 
John Fox 31 Oct 2006 3:03AM GMT 
Shelly Langley 31 Oct 2006 9:03PM GMT 
Shelly Langley 31 Oct 2006 8:38PM GMT 
Shelly Langley 31 Oct 2006 8:32PM GMT 
RoseDawkins14... 28 May 2013 10:25PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions