Search for content in message boards

Trying to locate the Arney Plantation in Lincoln County North Carolina

Replies: 0

Trying to locate the Arney Plantation in Lincoln County North Carolina

Posted: 20 Oct 2012 1:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Arney, Arny, Earney, Erney, Erny
I have been trying to track down, the "Arney Plantation", in Lincoln County, North Carolina, to little avail, so far.

The few records, I have found, only show Jacob Arney, purchasing 200 acres on the South Fork of the Catawba River, in 1772.

While Christian "Christy" Arney, Sr. purchased several lots in Lincolnton, which leads me to believe that the "Arney Plantation" must have been near Lincolnton.

I still believe that both Jacob & Christian, Sr. were buried on the Arney Plantation.

Unfortunately, I don't know, in what direction the Arney Plantation was from Lincolnton.
If it was North or South, it could have been placed in a different County (Catawba/Gaston).
On the other hand, if it was East of Lincolnton, it could still have been in Lincoln County.

I do know, that there is an Arney street, that is East of Lincolnton, while still being in Lincolnton, called "Boger City". If the street was named after the Arney family, it's possible that the plantation was near there or could have been named after the lots that Christian, Sr. had purchased.

I "assume", that Christian, Sr. received the Arney Plantation, after his father's (Jacob) death.

I know that Christian, Sr., left his son, Christian, Jr., a choice of the Arney Plantation or lots in Lincolnton, from what I understand he took both.

I know that Christian, Jr., left his Widow & minor children, the plantation and lots in Lincolnton. After Christian, Jr.'s death, his Widow got to keep the plantation, but there was a lengthy, Court battle, in which his children's appointed guardian, was forced to make the children sell off several lots in Lincolnton, to pay their father's debts.

Matthew Wilson, son-in-law (husband of Julianna "Uly" Arney) of Christian, Sr. attempted to force Christian, Jr. to give him the Arney Plantation, due to debts owed, but failed.

Who received the Arney Plantation, after the death of Christian, Jr.'s Widow, I don't know?

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions