Search for content in message boards

Nimrod Lunsford

Replies: 1

Nimrod Lunsford

Posted: 20 Jan 2012 5:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Jan 2012 11:27PM GMT
Surnames: Dockery, Lunsford, Riley, Davis
I was born and raised in Cherokee Co., Murphy, NC, Unaka Community. My great-great grandfather & grandmother were Thomas and Mahaley Lunsford Dockery. Mahaley Lunsford was Nimrod Lunsford's granddaughter. Her dad was Eli(as much info. as I can find.)Mahaley & Thomas married at Big Sandy Mush area near what is now Asheville, NC. Also there, Mahaley's sister Tabitha married Thomas's brother James. They all then moved to Cherokee Co. Thomas & Mahaley stayed for only a few years then moved to Tenn.
Thomas & Mahaley's son William (born 1833) stayed in the Unaka area where he taught school and was a charter member of Hanging Dog Baptist Church. Later he helped organize the Beaverdam Baptist Church in the commuity of Unaka. (That is where I went to church when we lived in Unaka.) William was a leading citizen in Cherokee Co. From his 2nd marriage my grandfather William Morgan Dockery was born. From all 3 marriages there were 12 children born to William Dockery.
Thomas & Mahaley returned years later and are buried at Hanging Dog Cemetery, if I have the correct information.
In 1960 we moved to Hickory, NC, but not until about 10 years ago did I start working with my geneology. A few years ago, I came across some information that Nimrod Lunsford was last lived in a small community about 15 miles from me in the Whittenburg Comm. of Alexander Co. where I discovered the family grave site. He is buried with 4 or 5 other family members, a couple which were wives. I visited the site and took pictures of the memorial listing who is buried there. I have information about Mary Jane Lunsford Davis also. She married James Baxter Davis.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jmr945 21 Jan 2012 12:55AM GMT 
wicenh 25 Jul 2013 7:32AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions