Search for content in message boards

JOHNSON and MARKES ancestors. . .two conflicting stories

Replies: 1

JOHNSON and MARKES ancestors. . .two conflicting stories

Posted: 27 Feb 2014 10:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Johnson, Markes, McKinney
This all occurred when Cherokee County had different borders most likely. if anyone has a clue, this is a mystery to me. . .

my ancestor Abraham Johnson (b.1787 Rowan County NC d.1880 Avery County NC) had a child Mary Polly Johnson (b.1814 d.1854). There is a story that Abraham Johnson got a Cherokee Indian woman pregnant, her name was Sarah Susan Markes; Abraham went into the Cherokee peoples land and stole the child, Mary Polly, and raised her. This was in 1814. Abraham went on to have a second wife Jane McKinney a white person.

Abraham Johnson had a son named Abraham II - and He had a daughter Polly 'Poppy' (b.1840). The SAME story is told about this other Polly, that the son Abraham got a Cherokee Susan Markes pregnant, on tribal lands, went and took the child and raised her.

I believe its more likely the first one is more accurate, because of the timing. . .If anyone has comment or knowledge is very appreciated....
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
dharmaofatish... 27 Feb 2014 5:07PM GMT 
missmeliss123 26 Mar 2014 5:27PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions