Search for content in message boards

Find Parents of Two Children Born in Chadbourn, NC - Names: Campbell, Lawrence, Lewis, Purdie, Keith of mother's side ????

Replies: 3

Find Parents of Two Children Born in Chadbourn, NC - Names: Campbell, Lawrence, Lewis, Purdie, Keith of mother's side ????

Posted: 9 Apr 2004 1:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Mar 2006 1:59PM GMT
Surnames: Shackels, Campbell, Lawrence, Lewis, Keith
My name is Sherri Jefferson. I live in Georgia. My mother, Mary Campbell was born in Chadbourn, NC. She was raised by Lucy Jane and Erathus Campbell. Recently, we learned that my mother's "real name" is Mary Shackels as per a delayed birth certificate filed in Columbus County Court records in September, 1945. We learned this information because mother is sick and we are looking for any "family" that can give us medical history on her side of the family. The mother, Mary Shackels, does not appear to be her correct name. She was from Georgetown/Conway, SC according to the DBC. We are wondering if a name change was filed in Sept/October, 1945 by Lucy Jane Campbell, because all of mother's school and medical records for 1946 say, Mary Jane Campbell. Was a name change or adoption petition filed in 1945 during the time the delayed BC was filed? Ironic, the delayed BC was never filed in Vital Stats in Raleigh, I have spoken with Ms. Pearce at that office, she is a supervisor. So the records must be somewhere in Columbus County. Other surnames to consider are: Lawrence, Keith, Lewis, Purdie all within Columbus County. There was a lady named "Lucille" "Rose" "Velma" and "Mary" that may be of kin. Lucille's father's name was Thomas Nelson Campbell and she would visit Lcuy Campbell. Wondering if Lucy Campbell had daughters. Wondering if Erastus had children of his own from Dillon County, SC or elsewhere?

In 1938, a child was born who was allegedly related; she was born on 12/05/38 and lived with the Lewis' in Tabor City, She was delivered by Purdie, a midwife. Lewis was Purdie's daughter. Why did these two children end up with these ladies in Chadbourn?

Also, in 1940 Lucy Jane Campbell filed a petition against Erathus (RS) Campbell for a free trader, we have the 1941 Order of Feb. 3, 1941 but was never able to find the actual petition of complaint. Do you know if it is now there?

Please help us. Even if we can find out the nature of the illness and if it is genetic, that will help, especially all of the women in the family.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Ournew 9 Apr 2004 7:25PM GMT 
dkeith52 22 Jun 2004 2:24PM GMT 
THKNGOD 6 Dec 2011 1:14AM GMT 
Ournew 25 Sep 2012 3:08PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions