Search for content in message boards

Ernest Day poss. adopted son of Wm. Bright, New Bern

Replies: 0

Ernest Day poss. adopted son of Wm. Bright, New Bern

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 2:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Day, Bright, Gilbert, Smith
Looking to confirm if Ernest Lee Day b.2 Jul 1894 was "adopted" by William and Martha Smith Bright. Ernest Bright is listed on the New Bern 1900 and 1910 census as their adopted son. My great grandfather Ernest day is missing from the 1900/1910 census'. Showing up in 1920 Portsmouth,NH. I know his mother died a within a few years of this birth. His father gave him to friends/family as he was a sailor or for whatever reason. He never came back for him. His father Henry Day remarried in 1899. On the 1900c. he is in New Bern with his new wife and much older children. Story goes Ernest left home when he was in his mid-teens. Which makes sense since I believe Martha Bright died in Oct 1910. I haven't found a death record for Ernest Bright or any census records for him after 1910. William Bright had been a sailor and ships carpenter, which would have probably put him into contact with Henry Day. The rough evidence leads me to believe this is him, but am looking to see if anyone has any evidence or even old family stories. Wm and Martha had one daughter Ina B. she never married. Wm also had a brother Thomas. Haven't tracked him down past the 1900c. I also haven't found Wm after the 1910c. Also if you run across a death date or burial for Mehitable Jane Gilbert Day died sometime between 1894-1900 I'm desperate to find that. Even if this post gets old, please reply. Thanks

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions