Search for content in message boards

Miles Grandy

Replies: 4

Miles Grandy/Charles Grandy

Posted: 28 Jul 2007 11:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Grandy, Grundy, Gundry, Dozier, Du Gue, d'Auge, Dauge, Mason, Purdy, Lawrence, Chichester
Here is an update based on some recent research, the most important of which has led me to believe that Miles was descended from a Charles Grandy who came to Virginia in 1671. I would continue to appreciate any comments, corrections or ideas.

My research has led me to believe that Miles Grandy was Cyrus Wiley Grandy's (b. 1808 and moved from Camden to Norfolk in 1844) father, but I still have no information on Miles. The following refers to C.W. Grandy, Jr., the son of Cyrus Wiley Grandy:

"Cyrus Wiley Grandy, Jr., was born on a plantation in Camden County, North Carolina, and when he was four years old the family moved to Norfolk. He was the son of Cyrus Wiley Grandy, descendant of Charles Grandy who patented land on Tanners Creek, Virginia (in the present city limits of Norfolk) in 1671, and of Anne Lamb Dozier, descendant of Jacque Du Gue (or d'Auge) emigrant from France (Civ. 1700) to the Provence of Albemarle in Carolina." Source: Robert Colgate, the immigrant: a genealogy of the New York Colgates and some associated lines. Truman Abbe. New Haven, Conn.: Tuttle, Morehouse & Taylor, 1941.

In Nell--there is a "Charles Grundy (Gundry)" listed on a Tanner's Creek. "366 acs., Low. Norf. Co., on N. side of Danl. Tanner's Cr., 4 Oct. 1671. p. 380. Adj. Col. Mason. Hugh Purdy & Mich. Lawrence. Trans. of 8 pers: Wm. Chichester, his wife, 4 children; jno. Reese. Tho. Leonard."

I have posted the information on Dozier elsewhere on the boards, but my information traces Ann Lamb Dozier back to James Dauge of Princess Anne County, Virginia.

If you have any information that might help me connect the dots, please respond here or e-mail me at rettalbot@hotmail.com.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ret_talbot 4 Jul 2007 1:26AM GMT 
Cbotnemps_1 7 Jul 2007 2:24AM GMT 
ret_talbot 28 Jul 2007 5:37PM GMT 
ret_talbot 2 Aug 2007 6:11PM GMT 
MarthaCrawfor... 29 Oct 2011 11:27PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic