Search for content in message boards

Thompson family Currituck, Thomas, Edmond, William

Replies: 12

Re: Thompson family Currituck, Thomas, Edmond, William

Posted: 31 May 2011 3:02PM GMT
Classification: Query

Have you seen the 1900 Census for Edmond & Matilda's household?

1900 United States Federal Census
about Emma J Forbes Name: Emma J Forbes
[Emma J Thompson]
Home in 1900: Poplar Branch, Currituck, North Carolina
Birth Date: Jan 1885
Birthplace: North Carolina
Race: White
Relationship to head-of-house: Daughter
Father's name: Serly F Forbes
Father's Birthplace: North Carolina
Mother's name: Pollie Forbes
Mother's Birthplace: North Carolina
Marital Status: Single
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Edmond Thompson 57
Matilda Thompson 51
Thomas D Thompson 19
Sarah E Thompson 15
Laura F Thompson 10
Serly F Forbes 42
Pollie Forbes 36
Emma J Forbes 15

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to mislead you about the Owens family. I meant that Owens is a direct line (my maiden name) not that specifically Sarah "Sadie" Owens was a close relative. She is not. I have a very large data base for the Owens family and just happened to have who you were looking for.
I have a note for Sarah that as a widow with young children she worked for Hezekiah Owens (he would have been her second cousin). I'm sure she had a hard life when her husband died and she was left with five small children. Her parents were dead by then. I have not traced her siblings so I don't know if they were in a position to help her. Remarrying immediately was not uncommon for a woman in her position. Thomas D. Thompson died 24 Feb 1919 and she married John J. Woodhouse (b. 1879) in 1920:

North Carolina Marriage Collection, 1741-2004
about Sadie Thompson Name: Sadie Thompson

Spouse: John J Woodhouse
Spouse Gender: Male

Marriage Date: 1920
Marriage County: Currituck
Marriage State: North Carolina

Source Vendor: North Carolina State Archives

I imagine she kept the Thompson name in death because she had those five children who bore the Thompson name.
I have this line of Woodhouse in my data base also but I don't know anything about them except names and dates. Woodhouse is another direct line of mine but not this particular family.
I'm not sure how many doctors there were in Currituck Co. at the time but I only know of one, Dr. William T. Griggs and his reputation is one of a beloved physician who devoted his life to his patients. He never married. He accepted most anything as payment . . . chickens, IOU's, etc. whatever people could afford. He personally paid for children to be boarded so they could attend school. The high school in Currituck Co. was named for him. I don't believe he was the type of person to virtually steal someone's house. That's another story I wouldn't put much faith in.
Have you researched the orphanage to see what records may still exist?
Good luck with your research. I'm glad John was able to help you with some useful info. If I can help, just ask.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
catmosley2 31 May 2011 2:15AM GMT 
ThreeGuards 31 May 2011 2:47PM GMT 
catmosley2 31 May 2011 4:08PM GMT 
ThreeGuards 31 May 2011 5:10PM GMT 
catmosley2 31 May 2011 5:46PM GMT 
ThreeGuards 31 May 2011 9:02PM GMT 
catmosley2 1 Jun 2011 12:32AM GMT 
ThreeGuards 1 Jun 2011 3:14AM GMT 
catmosley2 7 Jun 2011 12:45PM GMT 
ThreeGuards 7 Jun 2011 1:04PM GMT 
per page