Search for content in message boards

Thompson family Currituck, Thomas, Edmond, William

Replies: 12

Re: Thompson family Currituck, Thomas, Edmond, William

Posted: 31 May 2011 3:02PM GMT
Classification: Query

Have you seen the 1900 Census for Edmond & Matilda's household?

1900 United States Federal Census
about Emma J Forbes Name: Emma J Forbes
[Emma J Thompson]
Home in 1900: Poplar Branch, Currituck, North Carolina
Birth Date: Jan 1885
Birthplace: North Carolina
Race: White
Relationship to head-of-house: Daughter
Father's name: Serly F Forbes
Father's Birthplace: North Carolina
Mother's name: Pollie Forbes
Mother's Birthplace: North Carolina
Marital Status: Single
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Edmond Thompson 57
Matilda Thompson 51
Thomas D Thompson 19
Sarah E Thompson 15
Laura F Thompson 10
Serly F Forbes 42
Pollie Forbes 36
Emma J Forbes 15

-----------
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to mislead you about the Owens family. I meant that Owens is a direct line (my maiden name) not that specifically Sarah "Sadie" Owens was a close relative. She is not. I have a very large data base for the Owens family and just happened to have who you were looking for.
---------
I have a note for Sarah that as a widow with young children she worked for Hezekiah Owens (he would have been her second cousin). I'm sure she had a hard life when her husband died and she was left with five small children. Her parents were dead by then. I have not traced her siblings so I don't know if they were in a position to help her. Remarrying immediately was not uncommon for a woman in her position. Thomas D. Thompson died 24 Feb 1919 and she married John J. Woodhouse (b. 1879) in 1920:

North Carolina Marriage Collection, 1741-2004
about Sadie Thompson Name: Sadie Thompson

Spouse: John J Woodhouse
Spouse Gender: Male

Marriage Date: 1920
Marriage County: Currituck
Marriage State: North Carolina

Source Vendor: North Carolina State Archives

I imagine she kept the Thompson name in death because she had those five children who bore the Thompson name.
-----------
I have this line of Woodhouse in my data base also but I don't know anything about them except names and dates. Woodhouse is another direct line of mine but not this particular family.
-----------
I'm not sure how many doctors there were in Currituck Co. at the time but I only know of one, Dr. William T. Griggs and his reputation is one of a beloved physician who devoted his life to his patients. He never married. He accepted most anything as payment . . . chickens, IOU's, etc. whatever people could afford. He personally paid for children to be boarded so they could attend school. The high school in Currituck Co. was named for him. I don't believe he was the type of person to virtually steal someone's house. That's another story I wouldn't put much faith in.
-----------
Have you researched the orphanage to see what records may still exist?
-----------
Good luck with your research. I'm glad John was able to help you with some useful info. If I can help, just ask.

Jean
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
catmosley2 31 May 2011 2:15AM GMT 
ThreeGuards 31 May 2011 2:47PM GMT 
catmosley2 31 May 2011 4:08PM GMT 
ThreeGuards 31 May 2011 5:10PM GMT 
catmosley2 31 May 2011 5:46PM GMT 
ThreeGuards 31 May 2011 9:02PM GMT 
catmosley2 1 Jun 2011 12:32AM GMT 
ThreeGuards 1 Jun 2011 3:14AM GMT 
catmosley2 7 Jun 2011 12:45PM GMT 
ThreeGuards 7 Jun 2011 1:04PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions