Search for content in message boards

Thompson, Poplar Branch, Currituck, NC

Replies: 0

Thompson, Poplar Branch, Currituck, NC

Posted: 11 Jun 2011 9:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Thompson, Poplar Branch, Currituck, NC
I'm trying to make a leap past one of the infernal "Williams" the Thompson clans are so insistent on naming their offspring. Since I cannot find my Williams father's name, I'm attempting to link him to two different possible lineages.

My GGGrandfather William was a Miller in Currituck County, NC In the Poplar Branch/Powells Point area. He was born in NC in approximately 1789 and married a woman named Elizabeth. Had two sons, Edmond and Thomas. (Edmond being my GGrandfather) Looking for help from two sources. If anyone has come across any connection in either of these branches, I'd be most grateful.

1. The first I came across, and probably least likely... I found a Thompson family in Charleston/Woburn, MA. From a publication titled "Memorial of James Thompson of Charleston, Mass 1630 to 1642 and Woburn, Mass 1642 to 1682 and of eight generations of his descendants. Boston Press 1887." In the Sixth Generation, there was a reference to 6 brothers, the sons of a Robert Thompson. They were James, Robert, John, Smith, Thomas and, of course, William (the last two are family names in my line) James stayed in MA, but the other 5 were said to have gone to "the Carolinas". Does anyone have any history on those 5 men?

2. The second, and I think more likely, possibility are some Thompsons from the Currituck area, but I haven't been able to make the leap. There was a William, who wrote a will in 1790, or there about. He was married to a woman named Mason. Their children were Nathan, Bartholomew, John, William, Sarah and Mason (a girl). I later saw where the Mother, Mason, left her grandson, another William, some furniture. I really feel this is probably the link I want...but cannot seem to make the jump to the 1789 William in my line. Possibly through Nathan's children...

The census records I've looked at that far back only give Head of Household, not wife and children's names. I was hoping someone out there had family lore that might enable me to tie in to one of these possibilities. Thanks.

Find a board about a specific topic