Search for content in message boards

Nathaniel West

Replies: 20

Re: Nathaniel West

Posted: 2 Jul 2013 12:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WEST, SPENCE, WARDEN
This probably won't help and might be totally unrelated. I just got a 1715 tax levy list for Currituck Co. The only West listed is "Daniell West" who owned one track of land, 130 acres and paid 3 shilling, 3 pence in taxes. Anyone familiar with Daniell?

You all are further along in putting the pieces of this puzzle together than I am. I think that the West's you mentioned are somehow related because of the Spence middle name in so many descendents.

My family's documentation is poor earlier than Nathaniel Spence West whose daughter, Julia (listed in some records as Julian which might be Juliane), married William Warden. Family Bible records listed NSW as her father and Rebecca as her mother. Gibbs Woods, Currituck, is listed as her father's home but the Bible does not mention where she was born. I also have written directions as of the late 1800's as to where the old plantation house stood on Currituck Sound, but the directions could only be interpreted by looking at land records for the 1800's as they contain owner's names.

Written "stories" from several branches of the family list
Nathaniel S. West's gmother as Julia Spence, but I am inclined to believe she may have been his mother. The stories can be summarized as follows: Julia Spence was a young woman in Wales, daughter of a sea merchant/trader, who was kidnapped along with other girls by a ship's capt. and brought to America for indenture. The grandson of a brother of Lord Delaware purchased her indenture and discovered she was not fit to work in the farm fields and assigned her to be a house servant. He subsequently discovered she could read and write; she became a tutor to his children. She married one of his sons or other West relations (the stories diverge on this part). It is recorded in our written history that she married another Nathaniel West. Spence showed up in Warden family names for two more generations. Family genealogy records dating back to the 1920's list 5 Nathaniel West's in the line but I cannot verify this at all.

I have worked it from Lord Delaware's brothers on down, and the trail is cold. Nathaniel West, Jr. of England appears to have died in England and I cannot find any evidence he had a family in the Colonies. I have worked it on the premise that there was a line of "Nathaniel Wests"; I have uncovered a few references to Nathaniel West as a land owner and slave holder and as surety in Princess Anne Co. records, but that has been all. I think the answer lies buried in either Currituck, Norfolk or Prin. Anne Co. records, if they exist. I am not sure how the Eastern Shore might figure into this mix.

At this time, I do not think the direct line had 5 Nathaniel West's.

I tend to agree that we are possibly looking at brothers, and that they named their sons after brothers and uncles, but which ones?

I live about an hour from Currituck Co. but am unable to travel for research, so I am doing some research via William and Mary. I am considering looking at the brothers angle as a better possibility. Any thoughts?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ThreeGuards 2 Jul 2013 11:08PM GMT 
sallyalewis1 2 Jul 2013 6:24PM GMT 
JJFrenchWood 2 Jul 2013 7:16PM GMT 
paul west 2 Jul 2013 8:28PM GMT 
JJFrenchWood 2 Jul 2013 8:45PM GMT 
ThreeGuards 2 Jul 2013 11:38PM GMT 
sallyalewis1 2 Jul 2013 8:41PM GMT 
paul west 2 Jul 2013 8:27PM GMT 
sallyalewis1 2 Jul 2013 9:02PM GMT 
ThreeGuards 2 Jul 2013 11:30PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions