Search for content in message boards

RUARK surname - early Currituck records

Replies: 19

Re: RUARK surname - early Currituck records

Posted: 25 Jul 2013 10:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 31 Jan 2014 7:31PM GMT
Surnames: Ruark Luark Lewark Rheuark Llywarch
Although it's been some time since this thread was first started, and last posted in, I wanted to add some information that I thought may be helpful. I am a descendant of John Lewark/Luark (July 26 1774 - October 28 1866) through his daughter, Anna Luark. I recently had a Luark fourth cousin once removed take a Y-DNA test, as I was curious about the stories I've read of the shipwreck of our early ancestors off the coast of North Carolina, and the family legend about the descent from Llywarch the Hen. The cousin who tested is a descendant of John Lewark/Luark through his son, Patterson Fletcher Luark.

The 37 marker test results came back yesterday, and are quite interesting. He has six matches in total, with three of them having the surname of Ruark. One of the remaining three has the surname of Roark, and the other two are Shenton and Thomas. Of the matches, only one has a tree available for viewing. The earliest ancestor they have is Timothy Ruark (birth date unknown, died before 27 Sep 1813 in Pulaski County, Kentucky).

Using this information to check against the results of the autosomal DNA test I took, I see I have matched two people who have Rheuark in their trees. Both trace back to a common Rheuark ancestor (one tree has first name as Nicholas and the other has first initial only of M.) who died in 1815 in South Carolina and is believed to have been born in Brunswick County, North Carolina.

There is much work still to be done to try to find the common thread in all of this, but it does seem, though, that there is a connection between at least some of the Ruark, Luark, Lewark, Rheuark families. As I continue to learn more, I will post updates here, as well as at my website (http://www.danstone.info/lewark-luark-ruark-rheuarkdna.htm). I wish Marlene McCowan and James E. Lewark were still alive, as I think they both would be very interested in this information. Both myself and another Lewark/Luark cousin have tried to get in contact with Duane Miller several times, but all of the various email addresses we've found for him have had messages come back as 'invalid address.'

I'm hoping what I've posted here may be of some benefit to other researchers.

Best regards,

Dan

31 Jan 2014 - edited link to my website
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jean M. Coleman 31 Jan 2005 10:52PM GMT 
The_Stone_Fam... 25 Jul 2013 4:26PM GMT 
Annie Lee Wightman 20 Dec 2004 6:17PM GMT 
Jean M. Coleman 21 Dec 2004 2:20PM GMT 
Jean M. Coleman 21 Dec 2004 2:23PM GMT 
Ellen Fulcher Cloud 20 Dec 2004 9:14PM GMT 
Jean M. Coleman 21 Dec 2004 2:33PM GMT 
Jean M. Coleman 21 Dec 2004 2:40PM GMT 
Ellen Fulcher Cloud 21 Dec 2004 5:50PM GMT 
Jean M. Coleman 21 Dec 2004 8:58PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions