RUARK surname - early Currituck records

Replies: 19

Re: RUARK surname - early Currituck records

Janet Pinkham (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jan 2005 3:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lewark/Smith
Thanks, I have tried that, several times and several different ways, lol

I do have a few things on Lewark, I dont know how helpful it will be but I will give them to you all anyway!
============================================
This family history by no means is suggested to be the pure facts of this family, but the facts as I know them. This information comes from many sources and many hours of research. Much of this comes from the Journals of Michael F Luark, James E Lewark of Houston Texas and Marlene McCowan of Montensano Washington, countless hours on the phone and many many letters to various family members. Even though I would like this information to be perfect, I know it's not. If anyone sees something they don't agree with please don't hesitate to e-mail me. I want to hear from everyone, good or bad.. With genealogy as it is this page can change without notice.
The Luark History.
John Luark July 26 1774 - October 28 1866.

The Story starts somewhere in the early 1700s.Two Welsh brothers John and Joseph Llywarch landed somewhere off the coast of North Carolina. Joseph stayed in North Carolina and John set sail again landing somewhere near Wilmington Deleware.

There John met and possably married an Irish woman by the name of Mary Taylor. Before their son, whom they named John was born, John Llywarch set sail again and was never heard from again. I have information from ( *James E Lewark) of Houston Texas, about a John and Joseph Llywarch who may have been crew members of a **privateer. This information at this time has yet to be proven.

When John II was about twelve he and his mother set out looking for the brother Joseph, whom they never found. In the course of this searching Mary married a man by the name of Ricketts and lived out her life in North Carolina.

While in North Carolina John married Mary Hutton, a cousin of his mother. They had three children. John then married Catherine Varner. Her first marriage was to a man by the name of Henry Alderman. There were three children from this marriage as well.
=========================================
1850 Census Currituck Co, NC

NC - North Banks

786 787 Lewark, Anny 50 F W NC crw
786 787 Lewark, Francis 25 F W NC
786 787 Lewark, Sophia 6 F W NC
786 787 Lewark, Mary 4 F W NC
786 787 Lewark, Mariam 2 F W NC
787 788 Lewark, Thomas 46 M W None NC crw
787 788 Lewark, Elizabeth 40 F W NC crw
787 788 Lewark, Mary 16 F W NC
787 788 Lewark, Robert 14 M W NC
787 788 Lewark, Nancy 10 F W NC
787 788 Lewark, Fanny 8 F W NC
787 788 Lewark, John 6 M W NC
787 788 Lewark, Elizabeth 1 F W NC
==========================================

Dr Smallwood REPORTED "that the old store of Watson
and Grimes stood just below the Old Tavern just
where the road leaves the main road; this road
crossed Lewark Swamp, passed by the dwelling where
Mr Watson lived to Flag Run on the Roanoke. Mr Abram
Smith (My Pete #1 g.g.g.uncle) and Hezekiah Thompson
lived on this road. The country people would meet at
this store on Saturday, drink apple brandy, get
drunk and on occasional fight. The Doctor said "I
have seen many a fight their. Old Ned Williams, a
soldier of the Revolutionary War died there sitting
on the steps. I think a man named Wimberly was also
stabbed in a fight there and died before he could be
carried away to see a doctor. Elections and musters
were held there. After Mr Watson died, Jack Grimes
and James Lee were the merchants (I may be mistaken
about this for my father and Lewis Thompson did
business there around that time) - in fact it was
the time before Grimes and Lee. Mr Grimes moved to
TN and was killed there.
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/nc/bertie/bios/rawls.tx...

Sarah S Austin (Leon Wesley , Isaac Farrow , John or Jack , Thomas , Thomas , Thomas ) was born on 27 Sep 1890.

Sarah married William H Lewark on 8 Aug 1908. William was born in 1891.

They had the following children:

436 F i Irene Lewark
437 F ii Julia Lewark

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~challis/Thomas%20Au...
John, Eli b. 22 Jan 1810 d. 3 Aug 1839 m. Anna Sherwood and had daughter Nancy S. Lewark b. 17 Dec 1836 m. Nathan Cox and had 5 children
Friday, May 23, 1902; pg. 4
THE CURRITUCK GIANT - Lewis LEWARK, the boy wonder of Currituck, was here one day last week. He came in on a small vessel. The boat anchored on the flats and few people had seen the giant of the Sounds country. Lewis is only a 17-year old "kid" and yet his weight exceeds 600 pounds. His shoes would make two pair for any mammoth-footed Patagonian. His clothes are all homemade and the making thereof must be a mighty task for the fat boy's industrious little mother. The father and mother of the boy are ordinary looking people when it comes to size and for this reason we cannot lay his overabundance to heredity. Lewis is rather sensitive and not until a few days ago was he persuaded to go upon an exhibition tour and will be on of the attractions here at the Surfmen's meeting. He also expects to be at our next fair.

Friday, June 27, 1902; pg. 2
CURRITUCK INLET - Mr. Herman SMITH and Miss Pattie O'NEAL were united in holy bonds of matrimony Sunday, June 15th at the home of the bride by Rev. HOBBS. The attendants were Mr. Van LEWARK and Miss Ida O'NEAL, Mr. Tommy O'NEAL and Miss SMITH.

Friday, October 17, 1902; pg. 1
NAGS HEAD - Mr. Lewis LEWARK leaves us for Currituck County where he has accepted a position in the life saving station.

COROLLA - October 9th is a day long to be remembered by the sturdy and sun-tanned men who have hauled many fish from the bosom of the old Atlantic. On this day Mr. John H. LEWARK and his neighbors landed 30,000 mullets, fat and full-grown. On the previous day they made a haul of 25,000. Mr. LEWARK is a veteran fisherman and says that this is the largest catch of fish within the memory of men living on this coast. There were supposed to have been as many as 60,000 fish in the net but they were turned out for fear of tearing the net and because of the impossibility of landing them.

These are just a bunch of odd notes that I have, maybe someone can find something useful.

Janet
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jean M. Coleman 25 Oct 2004 4:36PM GMT 
Annie Lee Wightman 19 Dec 2004 9:44PM GMT 
Jean M. Coleman 20 Dec 2004 1:26AM GMT 
Jean M. Coleman 20 Dec 2004 1:50AM GMT 
Annie Lee Wightman 20 Dec 2004 2:11PM GMT 
damiller20041 29 Jan 2005 8:44PM GMT 
Jean M. Coleman 29 Jan 2005 8:48PM GMT 
jlpinkham 31 Jan 2005 5:53AM GMT 
Jean M. Coleman 31 Jan 2005 1:18PM GMT 
Janet Pinkham 31 Jan 2005 10:39PM GMT