RUARK surname - early Currituck records

Replies: 19

Re: RUARK surname - early Currituck records

Annie Lee Wightman (View posts)
Posted: 20 Dec 2004 7:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Dear Jean Coleman,
Thank you for your very prompt and extremely interesting reply
to my letter to you. Although my personal connection to the Lewarks of the Outer Banks is only through marriages of distant relatives and not from descent, to my knowledge, I am always interested in local names. And, in fact, in most genealogical information that comes my way!

I did not mention to you that some of the Lewarks lived in the Whaleshead area of the Banks, closer to the Virginia border.
I believe they were descendants of the Kitty Hawk Lewarks and other families on the more southern regions of the Banks.
(We called it Whale's Head, but it is now officially 'Whale Head.)
It is likely that you know that Currituck Beach, bordering Virginia on the Banks, remained a part of Currituck County when Dare County was formed in 1870. KItty Hawk, in Atlantic Township, refused to become a part of the new Dare County until 1919/1920.
One of the Whales Head native Lewarks was for many years the keeper of the Kill Devil Hills Coast Guard station and remained close to the station after his retirement.
My own uncle, from Kitty Hawk originally, was the keeper of the Virginia Beach Station and the other Coast Guard facilities in the vicinity, including Cape Henry. The Lighthouse Service became a part of the Coast Guard about 1938.
Several years ago I found a very long and detailed and rather didactic report on the computer explaining the Welsh background of the Lewark name. I did not think it really applied to the Outer Banks Lewarks, although the writer seemed to, but it was certainly interesting.
Although you know that your own Ruarks were not a part of the Currituck Ruark/Luark/Lewark family, it is interesting that you mentioned the seagoing history of the Marylanders.
To my knowledge, my own ancestors of the Outer Banks, including Hatteras Islanders, Body Islanders, Roanoke Islanders, Nags Headers and the natives of Kill Devil HIlls and Kitty Hawk, came mostly from Maryland families who either arrived in Currituck County from Maryland through Virginia (Norfolk County) or in the case of the Midgetts and some related families, apparently sailed directly to the North Carolina Coast.
Your replies are fascinating, but
I will have to print out your letters in order to reply in more detail. When I try to refer to them on the web while writing, what I have written on this message site has disappeared each time I return to it.
Sincerely,
ALWightman

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jean M. Coleman 25 Oct 2004 4:36PM GMT 
Annie Lee Wightman 19 Dec 2004 9:44PM GMT 
Jean M. Coleman 20 Dec 2004 1:26AM GMT 
Jean M. Coleman 20 Dec 2004 1:50AM GMT 
Annie Lee Wightman 20 Dec 2004 2:11PM GMT 
damiller20041 29 Jan 2005 8:44PM GMT 
Jean M. Coleman 29 Jan 2005 8:48PM GMT 
jlpinkham 31 Jan 2005 5:53AM GMT 
Jean M. Coleman 31 Jan 2005 1:18PM GMT