Search for content in message boards

RUARK surname - early Currituck records

Replies: 19

Re: RUARK surname - early Currituck records

Annie Lee Wightman (View posts)
Posted: 20 Dec 2004 11:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
Jean Coleman
This is my 2d attempt at a more detailed letter to you in reply to specific items in your letters. When the first was finished, it was lost somehow to the computer's quirky nature.

I am very familiar with the writing of Robert Ruark and had often wondered whether he was connected to Outer Banks Lewarks. My impression was that he had lived in Virginia.
I have never been to Southport but one of my aunts lived there when her husband served in the U. S. Coast Guard. My father
inspected Coast Guard facilities there as a member of the team in the office of the Eastern Inspector in New York. They inspected Coast Guard facilities from Maine to Southport, including lighthouses.
His older brother was in charge of the Virginia Beach Coast Guard station and nearby facilities, including Cape Henry.
The Lighthouse Service became a part of the U. S. Coast Guard about 1938/39, shortly after my families transfer to New York.
Re the seafaring families of Maryland. Apparently not all of them went into Currituck County through Virginia, although my Etheridges did come through Norfolk County. There is considerable documentation on their progress.
But I have not seen anything to indicate that the Midgetts of Body Island, Hatteras Island, and Roanoke Island came through Virginia, although I cannot say positively that they did not.
There is a book of abstracts of Maryland Wills by Jane Cotton--I think it was called Maryland Calendar of Wills, which is very helpful in tracing names that appear in Eastern Carolina.
You are probably already familiar with it.
The only family among my own ancestors (that I can recall from research), who lived in Maryland and then in N. C. and were specifically identified as Catholics in Maryland, was the Meekins family. Of course, that does not mean there were no others-their religion is simply not identified. But my overall impression is that there were very many nonCatholic colonists transpsorted to Maryland.
Edmund Beauchamp was sent from London to become Clerk of the court in Somerset, Maryland, and he was an Anglican, among others.
The O'Neals of Hatteras are also my ancestors, but I do not know the colony where they arrived or their religion. In fact, most of my paternal antecedents were active Methodists. Most of my Methodist relatives have been active in Masonry. My maternal ancestors were mostly Old School Baptists who did not approve of Masonry But there has been quite a lot of intermarriage between both my Baptist and Methodist families, nevertheless.
It was not my intention to impose my own areas of interest on you but I did very much enjoy your recounting of your ancestry and the points you made specifically and hoped to validate my own "credentials" that prompted my replying to your query.
Annie Lee Wightman
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jean M. Coleman 31 Jan 2005 10:52PM GMT 
Dan Stone 25 Jul 2013 4:26PM GMT 
Annie Lee Wightman 20 Dec 2004 6:17PM GMT 
Jean M. Coleman 21 Dec 2004 2:20PM GMT 
Jean M. Coleman 21 Dec 2004 2:23PM GMT 
Ellen Fulcher Cloud 20 Dec 2004 9:14PM GMT 
Jean M. Coleman 21 Dec 2004 2:33PM GMT 
Jean M. Coleman 21 Dec 2004 2:40PM GMT 
Ellen Fulcher Cloud 21 Dec 2004 5:50PM GMT 
Jean M. Coleman 21 Dec 2004 8:58PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions