Search for content in message boards

RUARK surname - early Currituck records

Replies: 19

Re: RUARK surname - early Currituck records

Annie Lee Wightman (View posts)
Posted: 19 Dec 2004 2:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
to JEAN COLEMAN re Ruark family written Oct 25, 2004

I had not seen your request until today and see no replies.
From your letter, you seem to be seeking Ruarks in other records of the early 1800s.
You should check Currituck records under LEWARK/Luark, if you have not previously been aware of that family on the Outer Banks when it was still in Currituck County, now Dare County.
There are researchers who believe that the Lewarks (or Luarks as is is sometimes spelled) of the area of Kitty Hawk Bay were previously Ruarks.
James Lewark and John Lewark appear in Currituck County records of early 1800s on the Outer Banks, including censuses.
There are a number of deeds involving descendants of John Lewark, who married Ann "Nancy" Toler, daughter of Caleb Toler of the same area. Caleb named his children in several deeds.
Ann Toler Lewark had sons Solomon Lewark (who appears as Thomas Lewark in the 1850 census) and Tilman Lewark, who died before that census. Anna Lewark appears in the 1840 census in the same place, as did Solomon Lewark. Tilman Lewark's widow Frances married John Hill, also of the Banks. There are a few deeds involving this family and Banks land.

Zebulon Beacham of the Outer Banks is said to have married Elizabeth "Betsey" RUARK, daughter of Thomas RUARK.
Zebulon was the son of Thomas Beacham who appears on the Banks in 1790 census and wrote his Currituck will in 1792. Zebulon did not have a will, but rather specific deeds show that he owned land in Kitty Hawk proper and bought land on Currituck mainland at Dews Quarter Island in 1822. He died soon after and his widow Betsey married Noah Hobbs and lived on Currituck mainland. Dews Quarter is sometimes shown as "Jews" Quarter on maps--just a local pronounciation of "Dews".
Betsey's son John Beacham, (probably named for his father Zebulon's brother who also lived on Banks and died in early 1800s), wrote his Currituck will in 1832 and named both his Beacham siblings and his Hobbs halfsiblings. There are also deeds by which Noah HObbs
acknowledged the rights of the children of Zebulon Beacham to their father's land.
John Beacham's brother Boyd Beacham is known to have settled in Princess Ann County in the Virginia Beach area.
I believe he had a son Alexander Beacham. A descendant of Boyd settled on the Banks maybe 25 years ago and raised his family there.
I am a descendant of Edmond Beacham who wrote his will (on the Outer Banks) in 1788, but his relationship to Thomas Beacham of the will is not entirely clear, although Thomas is mentioned in Edmund's will. Edmund seems to have had only one son, Keder Beacham, and a daughter Mary Ann. Edmund's widow Mary Beacham, mentioned in the will, appears in the 1790 census on the Banks. Caleb Toler mentioned above was guardian to her son Keder Beacham, my ancestor.

I hope this will be helpful you in your pursuit of your family, if you had not known of their change of name.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jean M. Coleman 25 Oct 2004 4:36PM GMT 
Annie Lee Wightman 19 Dec 2004 9:44PM GMT 
Jean M. Coleman 20 Dec 2004 1:26AM GMT 
Jean M. Coleman 20 Dec 2004 1:50AM GMT 
Annie Lee Wightman 20 Dec 2004 2:11PM GMT 
damiller20041 29 Jan 2005 8:44PM GMT 
Jean M. Coleman 29 Jan 2005 8:48PM GMT 
jlpinkham 31 Jan 2005 5:53AM GMT 
Jean M. Coleman 31 Jan 2005 1:18PM GMT 
Janet Pinkham 31 Jan 2005 10:39PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions