Search for content in message boards

RUARK surname - early Currituck records

Replies: 19

Re: RUARK surname - early Currituck records

Jean M. Coleman (View posts)
Posted: 21 Dec 2004 1:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: RUARK
I believe I saw that the name Wallace may have originally been Wallis - wasn't that the way the woman who married into Royalty in England spelled her name? Anyway - it is fun to follow names - and down at Southport we see the families inter-marrying so much = same as everywhere! Maybe the person who wrote down the names for the 1820 Census didn't know how to make an L look like an L and used a K - for Kewark! Or it could be a form of Que-wark - or similar - I have seen some of those for foreign names - Well, I certainly am glad that Mr. Wallace gave land for "love and affection" and not malice because of a bad debt or something - but still that could have happened also -
Or maybe Kewark is an alias? Wouldn't surprise me any - people have been doing that since the Garden of Eden, too! Especially if they didn't want to be found, or found out!

Good to hear from you - have a lovely Christmas and New Year - perhaps some day we will get down to the coast - I had hoped to go the year they re-opened the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, but didn't make it - I did watch the video on TV of the way they moved it - marvelous! Wonderful old foundation of pine - and well preserved, too - how about that! No one expected that, I imagine! Wonder what they would find under some of the old buildings in other places - like New Bern Plymouth? you are right - my-stories!

Keep in touch - it is amazing how all of a sudden answers come -
For instance - my husband's brother-in-law's mother was Rose Goldston - and she always said her father was McDonald Goldston - but we could never find anything about him - now it turns out his name really was Mac Donald Goldston - but not McDonald like the hamburger establishment - so we have a new lead to follow back through the Goldston( Gholson,Golson) all the way to North Carolina - and then VA - we always look at the children when names are similar - and sure enough - someone else was looking at the father of Mac Donald Goldston , as a descendant of a sibling, and handed us what we needed - We had thought McDonald was probably a middle name - but nope - just PART of a name -

Jean Coleman

PS worked on family history for a friend and the Matthews came from Wales to VA>NC>GA>AL>AR>TX - trying to follow a name like that around the south proved a challenge - but with an on-line mailing list - got the job done - so now am finishing up that family history as a gift.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jean M. Coleman 31 Jan 2005 10:52PM GMT 
The_Stone_Fam... 25 Jul 2013 4:26PM GMT 
Annie Lee Wightman 20 Dec 2004 6:17PM GMT 
Jean M. Coleman 21 Dec 2004 2:20PM GMT 
Jean M. Coleman 21 Dec 2004 2:23PM GMT 
Ellen Fulcher Cloud 20 Dec 2004 9:14PM GMT 
Jean M. Coleman 21 Dec 2004 2:33PM GMT 
Jean M. Coleman 21 Dec 2004 2:40PM GMT 
Ellen Fulcher Cloud 21 Dec 2004 5:50PM GMT 
Jean M. Coleman 21 Dec 2004 8:58PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions