Search for content in message boards

RUARK surname - early Currituck records

Replies: 19

Re: RUARK surname - early Currituck records

Jean M. Coleman (View posts)
Posted: 21 Dec 2004 7:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: RUARK
We may never know the relationship between Wallace and Ruark families - but sometimes it was because of wife relationship to family.
I did read that a wagon train left Carteret Co in 1823 for Alabama and another about 1840 - so some of those families may have been connected with the ones who moved away - Sometimes the head of a household left land or money to a nephew or niece, too....especially if they were orphans.

I did see a James Wilson Wade who lived in Carteret Co, NC
son of Valentine Wade - well there is a Wilson Wade name in the Ruarks - interesting - who knows why the names were similar?

The onlhy Lewark I found in the CD I have of the 1820 US Census was Joseph Lewark in Russell Co, VA p 148 location: Lebanon
If someone could see the original, perhaps the last name would be read/spelled differently? I am sure some library in VA has that page and a research person could see what the writing looked like.

I do believe the John KEWARK b. 1775
is a misspelling in the 1820 Census and should be Lewark.
K and L are right next to each other on the typing keyboard.
I have found other typo errors in the 1820 census and other census records - - for Ruarks
where one was listed as Wuark! I only found that because I checked all of the Ruarks for NC! -

I did not find any Luwark listed in 1820 and very few Ruark,Rowark surnames....although there is a John Ruark in Horry County, SC
which I researched in the SC Archives and found he did own property there in the area next to NC - so that could be a clue - but no other records were found -

Thanks for writing your reply!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jean M. Coleman 31 Jan 2005 10:52PM GMT 
Dan Stone 25 Jul 2013 4:26PM GMT 
Annie Lee Wightman 20 Dec 2004 6:17PM GMT 
Jean M. Coleman 21 Dec 2004 2:20PM GMT 
Jean M. Coleman 21 Dec 2004 2:23PM GMT 
Ellen Fulcher Cloud 20 Dec 2004 9:14PM GMT 
Jean M. Coleman 21 Dec 2004 2:33PM GMT 
Jean M. Coleman 21 Dec 2004 2:40PM GMT 
Ellen Fulcher Cloud 21 Dec 2004 5:50PM GMT 
Jean M. Coleman 21 Dec 2004 8:58PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions