Search for content in message boards

Looking for John Smith and Allene Twiford Smith Genealogy

Replies: 2

Looking for John Smith and Allene Twiford Smith Genealogy

Posted: 29 May 2012 3:16AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Smith, Twiford
I am looking for information on John William Smith (14 Jan 1910 - 21 Nov 1974) and his wife, Allene Elnora Twiford Smith (22 Oct 1911 - 9 Feb 2001). Both died in Portsmouth, VA and are buried in New Hollywood Cemetery, Elizabeth City, Pasquotank, NC. Allene's name has been misspelled at least 7 times in the Census and on Ancestry.com (Alice, Aline, Alise are several examples).

I believe they were born in the East Lake, Dare, NC area. In the 1930 Census, they were listed in East Lake with my Dad, Fredrick (misspelled Frederick) Smith. He was their only child. I am not sure when they moved to Portsmouth, but it was after the 1930 Census. I'm waiting for VA and NC 1940 census records to be indexed.

Allene's mother was Holland Twiford, possibly daughter of William J (1860 - 1934) and "Affie" Basnight (1857 - 1935). Allene's father was supposed to be Native American, which would explain the problem with finding any information on him.

I have not been able to find any information on John Smith's family or parents. I believe he had siblings. Horace and Minnie are two names I remember from my childhood. In 1974, on the way back from John's funeral, we stayed briefly in Nags Head/Kitty Hawk area and visited with some of his siblings and their children.

It's possible that John lived in Elizabeth City in the 1920 Census. I did find records for John W. Smith, parents Theodore and Mattie Smith, siblings: Horace P, Evelyn E., and Gretchen L. Smith. I don't know if this is the John Smith I'm looking for.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kring1bc 29 May 2012 9:16AM GMT 
MIDGETT 1 Jul 2012 6:00PM GMT 
kring1bc 22 Oct 2012 4:21AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions