"NEW RIVER [p. 35] SOUTHWEST
So called from a creek of the name, which empties itself into the Neuse, near which the meeting house stands in Dobbs county, about 60 miles W from Newburn. Ruling elders & laying on of hands admitted. The families about 100, whereof 72 persons are baptized and in communion, celebratred the 3d Sunday in May, August, Nov. Feb. This their present state--They had their beginning by means of Rev. Charles Markland who removed hither from New  river about 1760 and preached to the conversion of fifteen. These in Oct 1762 were constituted into a church by a presbytery sent by Sandy-creek association. The constituents were Charles Markland & wife, Kittrel Mundine & wife, John Dellahunty & wife, Thos. Andrews & wife, John Cox and wife, Joseph Thraul, Mary Goodvine, Sarah Cox, Barbary Cox, Margaret Busby. The first minister is the present Rev. Charles Markland. He came hither from New-river, and was ordained by a presbytery from sandy-creek association Nov. 13 1763 to the pastoral care of the church" (pp. 391-392).
Footnote regarding "New River" (by G. W. Paschal):
"New River. According to a statement by Edwards in the text as explained by another statement in his notebook the first Baptist congregation gathered on New River was one of General Baptists, about 1743, by Paul Palmer. This seems to have had no pastor and to have been scattered on the death of Palmer a bout this time. But the Separate Baptists organized a congregation on New River which had a representative at the Sandy Creek Association in the year of its organizagtion 1758. This was their minister, Rev. Ezekiel Hunter. Semple, VIRGINIA BAPTISTS, 43. He was so successful in his proselyting that in 1760-61 New River had become 'the seat of enthusiasm in this Province,' and Mr. Stewart, the Bath minister, on a visit, found onloy a 'few remaining Episcopals there.' COLONIAL RECORDS, VI, 562. Mr. Hunter was in the Assembly of 1772-73, and died in 1773. Ibid., IX, 384, etc.: Kehukee Association, 297" (p. 391).
Footnote regarding Rev. Charles Markland (by G. W. Paschal):
"Mr. Markland did not continue long in the ministry. In 1779 he was one of the commissioners to run the dividing line between Dobbs and the new county of Wayne. STATE RECORDS XXIV, 290. In 1785 he was named one of the trustees of Dobbs Academy at Kinston, Ibid., 754. Hufham says that Markham was 'a favorite of Governor Caswell,' being mentioned in a letter of the governor to William Blount, February 18, 1789. NORTH CAROLINA BAPTIST HISTORICAL PAPERS, II, 155. Two members of the Church at Southwest afterwards became ministers. There were Kittrell Mondine, who in 1790 was assistant in the church at New River (Asplund). His will was probated in Jones County in August, 1791. Olds, WILLS, 167. In the Revolutionary period he was a justice of the peace. STATE RECORDS, XIII, 446. John Dillahunty was a soldier until 1781, when he became pastor of the church at Trent. In 1796 he moved to Tennessee, Sprague. ANNALS OF AMERICAN BAPTIST PULPIT, 851f" (p. 392).
--from MORGAN EDWARDS' MATERIALS TOWARDS A HISTORY OF THE BAPTISTS IN THE PROVINCE OF NORTH CAROLINA by G. W. Paschal.
"Reverend Morgan Edwards, one of the ablest Baptist preachers of America, was born in Wales in May, 1722, was educated at Bristol College, preached in England and Ireland for many years, and in 1661 came to ameriuca to become pastor oif the First Baptist Church of Philadelphia. In that pastorate he remained until 1770....Mr. Edwards was a prolific writer....For us by far the most importatn of his writings are his volumes on Baptist church history, which he called MATERIALS" (p. 365).
Is Southwest Baptist Church still in existence? Are descendants of the charter members still in Dobbs Co. NC?