Search for content in message boards

George Holder of Duplin & Sampson Counties, NC

Replies: 2

George Holder of Duplin & Sampson Counties, NC

Posted: 17 Aug 2013 2:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Holder
North Carolina records from the 1780’s indicate that two men with the surname of Holder, John Holder and George Holder, resided in Duplin County, North Carolina. Research shows no family connection between the 2 families. I am interested in the line of George Holder (Duplin County patent 1768).

GEORGE HOLDER was listed in the North Carolina Early Census in Duplin County for 1783, and his second land purchase was recorded in the Duplin County (now Sampson County) Deed Book 8 pages 121-122 when George purchased 300 acres from Dredzell Runnells on 13 December 1783. The property was located on the west side of the Great Cohary beginning in a pine and Black Jack in George’s own line.

By the time the 1784 North Carolina Census was taken both George Holder and John Holder were listed in the newly formed Sampson County.

GEORGE HOLDER and WILLIAM HOLDER were recorded as heads of households in Sampson County, North Carolina in the 1790 census. The two households were described as follows: George Holder 2 FWM <16, 1 FWM 16 and over, 2 FWF and William Holder 1FWM <16, 1 FWM 16 and over, 3FWF.

On 25 August 1799 GEORGE HOLDER of Sampson County, North Carolina wrote his will which identified his wife as Mary and his three sons as GEORGE V HOLDER, THOMAS HOLDER, and WILLIAM HOLDER. George’s will also named five daughters, all of whom were married. The daughters were Rachel Hodge, Mary Bell, Elizabeth Hair, Telitha Ryall [Royal], and Tabitha Wooten. George loaned to his wife Mary the use of the plantation where he was living along with 300 acres adjoining the plantation. To son George Vinson (sic) Holder, the elder George bequeathed “260 acres part of a tract of 300 acres ______ west side of the middle prong branch which branch I wish to be the dividing line between my two sons George Vincent & Thomas Holder.” When George Vincent came of age or “mary's” he was to “be suffered to live on the aforesaid land not withstanding his Mother’s life estate.” To son Thomas Holder was given one hundred acres of land “including the plantation whereon I now live and also the forty acres of land on the east side of the Middle prong branch if there should be that much.” After the decease of his wife George leaves all the residue of his property and the griss mill to George V. and Thomas. Son William received no property. His inheritance is one shilling, which was the same inheritance as the daughters. As William was already listed as the head of a household, it is possible that George had already given his married son, William, his share of the property. Of interest is that George Holder’s will was authenticated with his mark, but John Holder’s will of 1790 contained his signature.

The 1810 census for Sampson County was the last record found for George Holder whose will was written in 1799.

By the time of the 1820 census George Holder's son William has moved to Cumberland County, NC and when the 1830 census was taken William's brother, George Vincent, was also living in Cumberland County. The 1820 census is the last census record found for William Holder before 1774 and the last record for Thomas Holder before 1778, both sons of George Holder. William Holder Sr. (before 1774) is later recorded as a witness in the 29 November 1831 deed of William Holder Jr. (Cumberland County, N.C., DB 40 page 444).

William Holder before 1774 had a son William ca 1790 and he had a son William ca 1816.

The George Holder line became residents of Harnett County after it's formation in 1855.

I am trying to encourage any Holder male who descended from George Holder of Duplin and Sampson Counties to have DNA testing. I am a descendant of Sion Holder who was born ca 1824/1826 in Cumberland County and records show a close association with the William and George V. Holder's families. We are trying to break through the proverbial "brick wall."

DNA testing has be done on a descendant of William Holder ca1790 through his son Thomas ca1835. As Sion Holder is listed as security for Thomas's marriage bond, we had hoped that there would be a DNA match but there wasn't.

>From 1850 Federal Census for Cumberland County, N.C.
# 600 Will Holder (34) ca 1816 , Nancy (23), Malcom J (6/12), Elizabeth (6)
# 600 Will Holder Sr (51) ca 1790, Sabry (50) ca 1800, Thos. (15) ca 1835, Abel (14) ca1836, Elizabeth A (11)

William Holder ca 1790 + Sabre Keen > Thomas Holder ca 1835 + Mary Jane Harvill

If anyone has additional info on this family line, I would like to communicate with you.

Thanks,
Donna
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
DDURFOS 17 Aug 2013 8:27PM GMT 
jerometew29 4 Feb 2014 4:24AM GMT 
DDURFOS 7 Feb 2014 11:42AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions